Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Fog of War modifier
08-15-2017, 05:21 AM,
Fog of War modifier
I remember a +1 modifier to Fog of War checks in activation segments when a player chose to pass. I seem to be having trouble finding the reference to the rule. Does anyone else remember something like that? Where is it found?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-15-2017, 07:14 AM,
RE: Fog of War modifier
I know it was in Guadalcanal, and sometimes it's scenario specific in other places. I don't think it actually appears as part of the main rule set.
08-15-2017, 07:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 07:43 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(08-15-2017, 05:21 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I remember a +1 modifier to Fog of War checks in activation segments when a player chose to pass. I seem to be having trouble finding the reference to the rule. Does anyone else remember something like that? Where is it found?

I suspect that you are thinking of Battle of the Bulge.  To cite:

"If a player passes, modify his or her result (on 3d6) by +2.  Modify the die roll by +1 if a night turn (visibility is 1 hex)."

I checked also vs. Eastern Front & Beyond Normandy, two other older games, and they do not included the "pass" sentence. 

Ah, Afrika Korps has:

"If a player passes, add two to his or her total (die roll)."
08-15-2017, 11:58 AM,
I think Matt and I developed a game or supplement with such a modifier and that it was one of Philippe's design .Maybe Dunkirk or La Campagne de Tunisie.
08-15-2017, 12:21 PM,
I'm on the road, so don't have rule sets with me, but there was a game-specific one in either LCdT or Army at Dawn.....I believe in it was in La Campagne de Tunisie.
08-15-2017, 12:37 PM,
In game theory terms, I believe Panzer Grenadier must be related to Fizzbin and CalvinballConfused
08-15-2017, 08:21 PM,
(08-15-2017, 12:37 PM)Poor Yorek Wrote: In game theory terms, I believe Panzer Grenadier must be related to Fizzbin and CalvinballConfused

With the notable and often tedious exception of chess, I believe that is correct for any wargame or game system.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-16-2017, 03:51 AM,
(08-15-2017, 08:21 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 12:37 PM)Poor Yorek Wrote: In game theory terms, I believe Panzer Grenadier must be related to Fizzbin and CalvinballConfused

With the notable and often tedious exception of chess, I believe that is correct for any wargame or game system.

I prefer thinking of obscure rules in some of the supplements as attempts by the designers to influence change or improve AP's PG rules. Like three player chess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHVPutfveVs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaAkNXAzak

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory...son-chess/
08-16-2017, 04:25 AM,
The only standard change is the night addition of +1

Initially I played with the +1 on all passes but those who noted above that the additions are game specific are correct.
No "minor" country left behind...