Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tedious Play - Kicking Down the Door
07-27-2017, 03:26 AM,
RE: Tedious Play - Kicking Down the Door
Just playing Kokoda campaign scenario 15, Ioribaiwa 2 which is Assault heavy. All hexes are Jungle and there is a large number of pure infantry units on both sides, i. e Australians and Japanese. As the Japanese, I have to bring most of my troops on the central trail, or on levels 40m and 60m held by the Australians as a frontal transversal line. Not an easy task given the morale 8 & the firepower of the Australians and their first fire advantage in assault in jungle. It is probably as technical as an urban assault across a river. And it is fun ! Difficult, technical but still a lot of fun.
As the attacker, you have to exploit every resource possible, any failure in the defense, any missed occasion by the Australian. In this scenario, no ´prep' fire can be really effective: a maximum of Japs (morale 8) move adjacent to the Aussies, hope for the best (no disrupt, no demoralized, no kill) and enter in assault on next turn but most often with only one unit and a leader. There, it is easier (?) : at least a part of your unit should resist and lock the enemy in the assault. If it works, send one or two inf platoons more into the assault but as simple reinforcements : they won't fight, just joining the remains of the first platoons. In the next turn, evade from the assault hex with one of the good order infantry : you are through the enemy line ! Go on with this tactic as much as possible. Now the defender has to take some risks too.
Every die counts, every move seems critical: I like it a lot !

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tedious Play - Kicking Down the Door - by J6A - 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM
RE: Tedious Play - Kicking Down the Door - by J6A - 07-27-2017, 03:22 AM
RE: Tedious Play - Kicking Down the Door - by leonard - 07-27-2017, 03:26 AM
RE: Tedious Play - Kicking Down the Door - by J6A - 08-02-2017, 12:25 AM