Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke and Illumination ammunition
07-21-2017, 10:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM by Blackcloud6.)
Smoke and Illumination ammunition
4th Ed rules say:

Limited Ammunition: Each side in a scenario has a number of turns of smoke equal to 10 percent of the turns in the game, with fractions rounded up. So a 12-turn game allows for two rounds of smoke/illumination, while a 36-turn game would allow four turns. To track usage, place either a Smoke or Illumination marker under the firing unit to indicate one usage, or note off-board artillery's usage on a piece of paper.

This rule uses both "rounds of: and "turns of."  So what does this mean?  if it is a 16 turn scenario then does the side get to fire Illumination only twice, or get to fire illumination on two turns by as many units that can fire it?
TomMarshall likes this post
07-21-2017, 03:29 PM,
RE: Bmoke and Illumination ammunition
I think they should all be read as "turns".
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-22-2017, 05:14 AM,
RE: Smoke and Illumination ammunition
I understood it to mean that each smoke-capable unit and off-board artillery factor has two rounds of smoke ammunition in a 16-game turn scenario. Unit A could fire smoke on turns 1 & 2 and unit B on turns 3 & 4.
07-22-2017, 12:26 PM,
(07-22-2017, 05:14 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I understood it to mean that each smoke-capable unit and off-board artillery factor has two rounds of smoke ammunition in a 16-game turn scenario. Unit A could fire smoke on turns 1 & 2 and unit B on turns 3 & 4.

Agreed. That would marry up neatly with the concept of a basic load. Each artillery unit would have had a mix of HE, smoke, and illumination rounds. The majority would have been HE, however, each platform or battery would have maintained a set number of the other types. This would have allowed more flexibility to Commanders - allowing them more options to shape the battlefield in support of maneuvering into forces.
07-22-2017, 12:41 PM,
Somebody take the above information and format it into a concise, clear blurb and we'll have our first "annotation" for 4th edition rules on this site Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-30-2017, 12:52 AM,
How about this:

The resultant number is the number of turns that EACH smoke/illumination capable artillery unit can fire the special ammunition in the entire scenario. Note that the number turn is total for each artillery unit, it could fire 1 smoke and 1 illumination, or 2 smoke, or 2 illumination.

Pleas confirm the latter notion on total amounts is correct; this is how I read 17.18 to mean.