Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clipping Counters?
07-20-2017, 12:35 AM,
RE: Clipping Counters?
(07-19-2017, 11:57 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: Shad, the die-cut technology they use will either (1) leave side nubs or (2) cut through entirely (you would receive the counters in a bag). I would prefer the latter but I bet I am in the minority here.

They would have to switch vendors (and print larger quantities) for nubs at the corner.

If you like Revolution Games products like me, you probably noticed that the counters for the 1066 series are different than those from Thunder in the Ozark for example. The 1066 series is printed in much smaller quantities at a time (100' I believe) while the Thunder in the Ozark was at least 1,000  copies. The quantity alone affects which technology is economically feasible.

If you play Euro style games, you know that Fantasy Flight Games counter quality is much better than any I have seen in a wargame. The advantage of very large print runs.

Considering Avalanche games go in and out of stock  quite frequently, I suspect the subsequent print runs are a few hundreds.
Academy Games gets my vote for the best counters (and maps) in their Conflict of Heroes series. Their counters punch out clean with rounded corners, have great graphics, are thick, and they give you a beautiful tray to hold them all. But the catch is that a game has 35 counters per sheet with 5-6 sheets per game, not 280 counters per sheet. So, I guess we'll just have to deal with those nibs, wherever they may decide to put them.
07-20-2017, 05:21 AM,
Academy Games last 3 Kickstarters (most recent first)

878 Vikings - Invasions of England: $562,149
Mare Nostrum - Empires: $679,255
Fief - France 1429: $408,519

Mike would wet his pants if any Avalanche Press game generated that much $$ before publication.
07-20-2017, 07:45 AM,
(07-17-2017, 11:23 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 10:30 AM)Shad Wrote: It's not an improvement and I don't want it. Side nubs are garbage, full stop.

They are tough to deal with. I use a scalpel blade (#11) which is very fine, to separate them and there are still nubs that refuse to die. It's too bad that the very sharp cutter that they are using can't just cut so that the nubs are on the corners.

May I jump in for a second and ask where you get your scalpel blades? Thank you.

Peace. Michael
07-20-2017, 07:55 AM,
(07-20-2017, 07:45 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 11:23 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote: They are tough to deal with. I use a scalpel blade (#11) which is very fine, to separate them and there are still nubs that refuse to die. It's too bad that the very sharp cutter that they are using can't just cut so that the nubs are on the corners.

May I jump in for a second and ask where you get your scalpel blades? Thank you.

Peace. Michael

I wish I could recall but I bought a bunch of them from a surgical supply place years ago when I was still running my lab. When I shut it down, I hung onto a few packages. They are #11, which is a very nice size for fine work. I googled "#11 scalpel blades" and found a bunch of places that will sell them online; note that you'll also need to purchase a handle for them, which adds to the expense, but lasts a lifetime. If you live near any large city, my guess is that there will be a surgical supply place of some type.