Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clipping Counters?
07-16-2017, 12:46 PM,
RE: Clipping Counters?
Some games' countersheets were punched with dies that connected in the middle of the flat sides rather than at the corner. The little leftover tabs when you punch them out are almost impossible to remove. Check images for Beyond Normandy on BoardGameGeek for examples. They are almost unbearable.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-16-2017, 01:32 PM,
Woah that is pretty bad. I looked it up and whew.....
07-16-2017, 11:33 PM,
(07-16-2017, 12:46 PM)Shad Wrote: Some games' countersheets were punched with dies that connected in the middle of the flat sides rather than at the corner. The little leftover tabs when you punch them out are almost impossible to remove. Check images for Beyond Normandy on BoardGameGeek for examples. They are almost unbearable.

The newer ones have this also (e.g. Army at Dawn).  I found that carefully scoring the counter sheet using a sharp thin knife (e.g. a Syderco Dragonfly) or maybe a good quality easy-glide knife before punching out the counters minimized the "hanging chads".  
07-17-2017, 12:54 AM,
Really? They did it again? FFS AP!
07-17-2017, 04:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2017, 04:56 AM by Dan Storm.)
(07-17-2017, 12:54 AM)Shad Wrote: Really? They did it again? FFS AP!

The counters in Spearhead Division are connected to each other on all 4 flat sides right in the middle. Is that what you reference in your comment below?

"...Some games' countersheets were punched with dies that connected in the middle of the flat sides rather than at the corner...."
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
07-17-2017, 09:54 AM,
A function of the new technology die cutting blade that is 20 times sharper than the blades of 40 Yeats ago. You get no as shed backside ( due to less pressure), and chads in the center.
07-17-2017, 10:30 AM,
(07-17-2017, 09:54 AM)larry marak Wrote: A function of the new technology die cutting blade that is 20 times sharper than the blades of 40 Yeats ago.  You get no as shed backside ( due to less pressure),  and chads in the center.

It's not an improvement and I don't want it. Side nubs are garbage, full stop.
07-17-2017, 11:23 AM,
(07-17-2017, 10:30 AM)Shad Wrote: It's not an improvement and I don't want it. Side nubs are garbage, full stop.

They are tough to deal with. I use a scalpel blade (#11) which is very fine, to separate them and there are still nubs that refuse to die. It's too bad that the very sharp cutter that they are using can't just cut so that the nubs are on the corners.
07-19-2017, 09:49 PM,
(07-17-2017, 10:30 AM)Shad Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 09:54 AM)larry marak Wrote: A function of the new technology die cutting blade that is 20 times sharper than the blades of 40 Yeats ago.  You get no as shed backside ( due to less pressure),  and chads in the center.

It's not an improvement and I don't want it. Side nubs are garbage, full stop.

Hear hear,  PG's counters production have been poor throughout the life of the series, from the skinny (Beyond Normandy) to the stupidly chunky (Liberation) to clunky side nubs (Army at Dawn) and even the scorched (Kursk). I think its a credit to the game system that PG has survived.  Don't get me started on the production standards of the maps.
07-19-2017, 11:57 PM,
Shad, the die-cut technology they use will either (1) leave side nubs or (2) cut through entirely (you would receive the counters in a bag). I would prefer the latter but I bet I am in the minority here.

They would have to switch vendors (and print larger quantities) for nubs at the corner.

If you like Revolution Games products like me, you probably noticed that the counters for the 1066 series are different than those from Thunder in the Ozark for example. The 1066 series is printed in much smaller quantities at a time (100' I believe) while the Thunder in the Ozark was at least 1,000 copies. The quantity alone affects which technology is economically feasible.

If you play Euro style games, you know that Fantasy Flight Games counter quality is much better than any I have seen in a wargame. The advantage of very large print runs.

Considering Avalanche games go in and out of stock quite frequently, I suspect the subsequent print runs are a few hundreds.