Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification Request: EF - EFD - FitS
07-09-2017, 07:32 AM,
Clarification Request: EF - EFD - FitS
Good Afternoon All;

Still gathering information about all the modules and upcoming releases so I can make my own wishlist and I was hoping the gang could help me.

Can you please let me know what the differences are between "Eastern Front" and "Eastern Front Deluxe" and the new "Fire in the Steppe"?

From what I can gather:
All 3 have Boards 1 - 8 - with FitS having updated artwork.
All 3 use the same 660 pieces.

EF and EFD have 112 scenarios.
FitS has 60 Scenarios - none of which are duplicates from the original 112.

EF / EFD - I have found pictures of 2 different covers - Tiger Tank / Horses.

Is FitS a Version 3 of EF?
Do all 3 games cover the same topic?

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Dan
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
07-09-2017, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017, 08:04 AM by triangular_cube. Edit Reason: clarified the duplicates part )
RE: Clarification Request: EF - EFD - FitS
(07-09-2017, 07:32 AM)Dan Storm Wrote: Good Afternoon All;

Still gathering information about all the modules and upcoming releases so I can make my own wishlist and I was hoping the gang could help me.

Can you please let me know what the differences are between "Eastern Front" and "Eastern Front Deluxe" and the new "Fire in the Steppe"?

From what I can gather:
All 3 have Boards 1 - 8 - with FitS having updated artwork.
All 3 use the same 660 pieces.

EF and EFD have 112 scenarios.
FitS has 60 Scenarios - none of which are duplicates from the original 112.

EF / EFD - I have found pictures of 2 different covers - Tiger Tank / Horses.

Is FitS a Version 3 of EF?
Do all 3 games cover the same topic?

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Dan

"Eastern Front" typically refers to the original "Panzer Grenadier" which is listed on the database here as "Panzer Grenadier". This had 51 scenarios and 495 counters. It had the hardmounted versions of maps 1, 2, 3, & 8.

Eastern Front Deluxe is the game you are referencing here with the 660 pieces and 112 scenarios. The counter set is different from "Eastern Front, aka Panzer Grenadier" in that it includes Romanian forces in addition to some minor additions and subtractions to the OOB. The 112 scenarios contain many duplicates of the "Panzer Grenadier" scenarios, although many of the duplicates are reworked from the original. This included maps 1-8 in cardstock. The Tiger/Horses box arts are from separate print runs of the same game. At some point some of the counters in the later printings may have become laser cut? Not sure on that last bit.

FiTS I only know what is written on the APL website. Someone else may be able to give you a better description.
07-09-2017, 11:26 AM,
Fire in the Steppe will have redeveloped scenarios from EFDx (mostly the Romanian ones), new scenarios (with a focus on the Brody battles, etc.) and serial battle games (e.g. what happens in a previous battle game may effect current scenarios. The geographical focus will be south of the Pripet Marshes. Other than the counters and maps most of what you see will have substantial changes from EFDx. Consider it a brand new product.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-09-2017, 02:18 PM,
(07-09-2017, 11:26 AM)Matt W Wrote: Fire in the Steppe will have redeveloped scenarios from EFDx (mostly the Romanian ones), new scenarios (with a focus on the Brody battles, etc.) and serial battle games (e.g. what happens in a previous battle game may effect current scenarios.  The geographical focus will be south of the Pripet Marshes.  Other than the counters and maps most of what you see will have substantial changes from EFDx.  Consider it a brand new product.

Thank You Triangular and Matt for the Intel. That helps a lot...

Matt - At This Point In Time - Do you think its worth Pre-Ordering a copy of Fire in the Steppe AND Tracking down a second hand copy of EFDx?

Or just stick with Fire in the Steppe?
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
07-10-2017, 10:01 AM,
If you can find a cheap copy of Eastern Front Deluxe, say $25 or less plus shipping, I would get it.
07-10-2017, 12:01 PM,
(07-10-2017, 10:01 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: If you can find a cheap copy of Eastern Front Deluxe, say $25 or less plus shipping, I would get it.

Totally agree,   lots of older cheap modules floating around that use this one.
07-10-2017, 01:59 PM,
Thank You All!