Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My PG House rules (formal write up) [7/10]
07-04-2017, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2017, 12:50 PM by RLW.)
My PG House rules (formal write up) [7/10]
It was suggested that I take some of my house rules and write them up more formally more like the official rules. Here is my  write up of  my latest version of my  CRT interpolation house rule in that format. Thus  instead of discussing the rule as I did previously (as to the whys's and  alternative hows') this rather just describes it with a minimum of discussion. I am trying to write these here so that these rules could easily be copied and paste into some other document if anyone should ever desire to do so. Or one could use them here as an online reference if so desired.

BTW, if any one sees any typos and such let me know and I will try to fix them. I will try to add  others house rules  to this thread as I get around to writing them. Also I have tested this rule and it seems to work pretty well. And even though there are six steps to this  procedure they are pretty easy ones and  don't take too much effort to run through. Most of the time it has no effect. But sometimes it does bump a  column up or down and so  it always pays to have a few surplus  fire factors  over the minimum  as a hedge from getting bumped down and  if one almost has enough to get one higher if one is lucky one might get bumped up to that value.

I am adding all my rules here in this post, but incrementally. That seems to be a better way to go than  replying to my own posts as I did previously. So this post might get long but one might think of it  is like a living version of these rules. So I added a date for the latest revision in the thread title. And since in this write up I am trying to be more formal there is a lot more legalese and fine print to cover all the  various cases that might crop up. But if I miss any let me know and I will  add something to cover that special case.

A few final notes. So far these rules should work for PG modern and Infantry attacks as well. II will try to note any that do not. Thus the absence of such a note implies that they should be OK for them.. with should being the operative word in that maybe  the rule might not be as fully tested in regard to these. Also I am including some commentary here on the rules and put them in italics.

Finally, one of the beauties of the PG series is its simplicity. as such these rules can highlight that simplicity in that one can see  how that simplicity can easily be lost by adding  lots of special rules. But at the same time one can explore these rules to see if they might scratch soe itch or maybe address some pet peeve or  may be someone's cup of tea, or if not that, food for thought of what one might could do, even if one decides that these are not their cup of tea. But the intent was not to change basic game play but to  add  some detail, add more  choices, and perhaps induce the player to  employ behaviors that possibly might be  similar to the ones that  one might do  in actual combat but that the current rules  do not address of  do so more abstractly. But the reason most play PG is for fun. so if these rules up the fun level, great, then here they are for any to use. My goal here is to make them  as simple as possible *albeit each adds  additional complexity, and as cl;ear as possible to  reduce the stress if wondering  just how that rule applies in  the various cases one may face. As to whether they add to the realism of the game  I could not say but they do address factors that the basic  rules do not address, but whether these factors  enhance the realism may be problematic to say for sure one way or the other... so it boils back down to fun level as the ultimate deciding factor as to whether to add any additional rules or just go with the standard ones and enjoy them ias is.

And one more thing. Some of these rules could really use a diagram to help illustrate them (like the precision facing rules) . Once I finish the write ups I might then make a fe diagram to add to these and that might help make some of these rules a bit easier to understand. and maybe even after that I might make a YouTube video of examples  of these rules if anyone might be interested.. for it would be a lot of work to make and not much  point to do so if no one cares to watch it.

And as they get more mature I am  adding more configuration control and am starting to red highlight changes.

One other note. These i made mainly for my own use. that said I needed to write them down for my own references. But since I needed to write them I thought I might as well share them here as well in case anyone might find these interesting. Also, one of these house rules (or any variant) could be used by any scenario designer as special scenario rules (with no need to cite this post as source... unless one wants to plug PG-HQ in general).

Additional Optional Rules.

1.0 Interpolation of Fire Values on Combat Results Table 

When computing fire effects  for Direct Fire, Bombardment Fire, and Assault Fire (both offensive and defensive) instead of using the  next smallest listed  fire value on the applicable table use the following procedure to interpolate the actual combat  fire value to a new adjusted total. 

Step 1. Use the total  fire value of all the firing units (including any combined fire as per 6.41 leader leader fire power enhancements as per 6.42 or 6.43)  the base fire value (FV) for interpolation.  

Step 2. Find the  next higher and the next lowest listed fire value on the appropriate combat Results table. 

Step 3. Take the difference between the high  listed fire  value and the  next lower listed fire value that bracket the  base FV. 

Step 4. Roll an n sided die twice where n will be that difference computed in step 3. 

For example if base FV for bombardment fire was 32 then the listed FVs on the Bombardment table that bracket 32 would be  42 and 30. The difference  would be 12 and as such the two interpolation die rolls would use a 12 sided die rolled twice. 

BTW. An alternate way of doing this  vs rolling the same N sided die twice or having to buy two sets  to roll two  of the same N sided die at once is to roll  for the plus die  a N+1 sided die along with the N sided die for the minus die and if that N+1 die roll the N+1 side then reroll it. That  way one can roll two die without need to buy a second set and most of the time  (especially for where n is large  will not that often have to reroll. The advantage  with this is that one does not have to remember what the first roll  was which  doesn't sound that hard a thing to do but when trying to remember  the other things one need remember can be the  extra  ball that goes the juggler to drop all the balls he is juggling.

Step 5.  Subtract the value of the second roll i from the  first roll and then add that to  to the base FV.

Step 6.  Use that total  computed in step 4  as the new base fire value  and  then treat that new adjusted  base  FV as one would  as per the normal rules and round down that  new adjusted base FV to the nearest listed  FV on the table and use that to determine  combat results  as modified by any  column shifts as per rule 7.5. 

Thus in general  interpolation rolls can have  three effects vs  the normal  method of determining which column to use. It can either 

1. have no effect vs the normal method, 
2. it can bump the  column up one, or 
3. it can bump the column down one. 

In some cases  the total could cause  the column to be bumped down two columns. In these cases  it would be limited to just one column down. However, in regard to direct fire bumping a column up or down has no effect on the shifts that may one  perform in addition to this interpolation role  in that they are  considered separate and are applied without any regard for whether the column was  not affected of bump up or down based on the interpolation role.  

Thus in the above example the two 12 side die rolls were  8 and 3 then the difference would be 8 - 3 =5 which would then be added to the Base FV 32  so as to give the new adjusted base FV of 32 + 5 = 37. That  new adjusted base FV would then be used as  per the normal rules and would round down to 30. Had the  two  12  sided die rolls been  11 with 11 - 1 =10 then the base FV of 32 would be 32 + 10 = 42 and thus  the interpolation roll would have bumped the column form  30 (as per the normal rules) to 42. Similarly had the two 12 sided interpolation die rolls has been  5 and 9 the 5 - 9 = -4 and 32 - 4 would be 28 and that then would bump the  column down to 21. If the target was say in  a town then  the -2 column shift would be employed  as normal. 

Note. If a n sided die starts int numbering with zero instead of one  then treat that zero as  n. For example  say one had a base FV of 4 for bombardment fire  which would  dictate  a 2 sided die for interpolation ( 5 - 3 = 2) and their 2 sided die was number   side 1 = 1 and side 2 = 0 treat that  0 as a 2 such that if one rolled a  0 and a 1 that would be  read as 2 -1 = 1 which added to the 4 would bump that column up to a 5.

And if one forgets to make an interpolation roll or (by mutual consent) decided to skip them then consider that they were made but had no effect.

The primary effect of this rule is that now it pays to have a few surplus fire factors to reduce the likelihood of being bumped down a column by the interpolation rolls and  if one can amass enough fire power factors to almost get to the next column one has   a better chance of being bumped up to that the closer one can get to that. But in most cases  it has no effect and tends to help as much as it hurts on the average but would  but does give say a 18  bombardment factor an advantage over a 16 in that  the 18 will  typically  do better than the 16 in its interpolation roles so it rewards having  higher firepower where the basic rule of always rounding down to the  lowest listed value may not always do that..

[NEW] 
1.1 Plus Only and Minus Only Rolls. This is another optional to this rule. In certain cases only the plus  interpolation die or the minus one is rolled.

DF where only the Plus Interpolation die (ID)  is rolled:
1. OP DF where the mover moves more than 1 hex.
2. If all the shooters are at a higher elevation than the target.
3. If the leader has special abilities similar to  those in the PG King's Officers  game and such that would give that leader a +1 for rifle or MG combat (but instead by this rule would just give them a plus only  interpolation die roll).

DF where only the Minus ID is rolled.
1. When firing at max range.
2. When firing at a hex that is limited terrain but has no regular DF shifts.
3. If target is a gun that has a gun shield.

BF where only the Plus ID is rolled.
1. Same as 3 above only the special leader ability is FO or Arty.
2. The BF is Drumfire.
3. The smallest artillery value is  greater than 12 in that attack (i.e. has a big big bang).

BF where only the Minus ID is rolled.
1. Target hex is at max range.
2. The target is in a woods hex but dug in (this rule lets one did in in a woods hex where the only benefit in doing so is this)
3. target is an AFV in town hex (if also using rule that treats town hexes as clear terrain for AFVs for bombardment fire purposes). his applies to the AFVs in that hex only and not to any other non AFV targets in that hex.

AF where only the Plus ID is rolled.
1. Leader has special ability for assault (see similar abilities above)
2. Shooter has engineers in a non town or entrenchment hex where it would get a full +1.
3. Infantry against AFV with no infantry in limited terrain (or smoke hex) that does not also give it a full +1 or +2 such as a town or woods.

AF where only the Minus ID is rolled.
1. Initial attack by that attacker (the attacker must first close range to bring effective fire against the defender) 
2. If the target hex is clear and has an AFV and none of the assaulting units have infantry AT weapons (i.e tank intimidation)
3. If the the assault hex is higher than all those of the assaulting units (i..e where the defender could get a +1 for its AF)  

If there are more than one such condition the  one that has the most  is used, if a tie  both Plus and Minus ID are rolled as normal. Also when  rolling only one ID the otehr is assumed to have rolled a 1. Thus in effect  there always are a plus and negative die  to add but when it is a single roll the other is a 1 and need not be rolled. Thus if one has a single minus die roll for a 5 sided die and rolled 1 then the sum would be 1-1 =0 and not -1. that way one can still roll  a zero even with one die roll.

These plus or minis only ID roll rules (like all optional rules) add a bit more complexity to play. But maybe more excitement and interest as well. or maybe not. That is why I see them as optional to the optional rules here.

2.0 Enhanced Fog of War 

2.1 Action Segment  Stealing. This rule is an optional expansion of the standard optional rule, for of war that further adds to the for of war  but in a way that is  more prejudicial to  an inferior commander and/ or a side with low initiative in that they are more likely to be hurt by this.

Step 1. Whenever making a fog of war dice roll and if the player in the preceding action segment did not pass nor had  its segment stolen from it (as defined by step 5 below) in its last action segment, when making that fog of war dice roll, use the two highest die rolls of the three as a fog of war command check. 

This is done by applying the two highest die as if it were a normal moral check to the commander of that side's  commander (i.e the highest ranking leader or the leader designated as such given  the original commander is lost). If the  leader is demoralized then  his moral  is considered 1 less (or more if rule 9 below is used) for this command moral check. Failing this command moral check has no adverse effects other than as stated in the step 3.

If the player in the preceding action segment passed  the following steps  are to be skipped and game play continues  based on the fog of war results with no enhanced fog of war effects for that action segment. In effect by passing  that player forfeits any ability to steal back that next segment via these enhanced fog of war rules. This also eliminates the possibility of  neither side being able to move where one side  passes, the next looses the enhanced fog of war war only to have that side pass, etc.

Step 2. If that leader passes that moral check then  the game play proceeds as normal. 

Step 3. But if the commander loses that  moral check then either there is three options.

Option 1. The player can  declare that he is activating  that commander and then proceed with the segment as such.

Option 2. The initiative die roll must be repeated using the standard rules for making an initiative determination as defined in 3.0 A in regard to determining who wins that check. It does not matter how much in excess  any side wins but only who had the greater results or was it a tie.

Option 3. That player can pass and game play continues just as  if it were a  normal pass.

Step 4. If in step 3,  option 2 was chosen, and the player who is performing the command check wins the initiative roll, then game play again proceeds as normal. 

Step 5. But if that side loses the initiative roll then the other side in effect steals that activation segment from that player and can then treat it as his own segment. 

This transfer of the action segment ownership to the other side does not require an addition  fog of war role, that already has been made for that segment. If  the commander  of that side  has a moved/fired counter then  that  one is subtracted from  his initiative die roll. This is to  reflect that commander was busy doing something else other than commanding.

The action  segment of the side that steals this segment by winning forced initiative roll proceeds just as if the other player passed except for there is no fog of war check (note. see step 6 for what happens  for a tie)

Step 6.  If the initiative check results in a tie, then the owning player would be considered to have passed and the game proceeds accordingly just as if  the player had elected to pass voluntarily.  Note the only real difference  in passing and in having their segment stolen is that for a pass (be it voluntary or forced by a tie) requires a new fog of war role  for the next player segment while if the  segment is stolen no additional fog of war role is required.

BTW, what this rule tends to do when one side has low initiative and a  low moral  commander is push many of their actions toward the end of the turn when the other side starts passing. That makes the possibility of the turn ending by a normal fog of war role that much worse for that player. So the player has the choice when  losing its command check rolle to either pass (and thus make the other side make a fog of war role or  try to win the initiative roll that even though it will probably lose will at least  guarantee that it gets tat least gets every other segment even if it keeps losing getting bad rolls  for  extended fog of war. So whether to pass or  to go for it is part of that player's strategy decision of whether  to  try to end the turn sooner with a fog of war roll or try to get more action segments before (for both sides) that happens 

3.0 Precise  AFV Facing. 

[Note. I might caveat this rule that it is not for the faint of heart but does add a bit of extra mental gymnastic to AFV combat but at the same time adds factors that may make it if not more realistic at least more detailed for those that might want  more detail. This  extra detail  includes

1. provides a way of distinguishing between AFVs with turrets and non turreted AFVs, 
2. adds  a bit more precision to what the standard rules call crossfire, and
3. adds details to how AFV move and how that might effect AT Op fire. 

These actually seem to play pretty well albeit by extra rules and mental calculations, some that may be a bit tricky until one gets the hang of them. But if one loves tank fights and wants the extra detail these rules provide a means for adding  that additional detail that only has a small  deviation from the standard rules in that it only really affects how one  determines  crossfire and its effects.]

3.1 How  precise AFV facing  is determined. AFV facing is not specified except for  certain instances (as will be defined by 3.6. and 3.7 below). When the need arise to define precise facing the AFV can have  one of twelve precise facings. each of these correspond to  clock positions with 12:00 being North, 1:00 being N by NE, 2:00 being NE by E, 3:00 being East, etc. 

Note that these 12:00 position  align with the hex sides depending on which way the map is oriented. If the  long side of the map is  aligned north and south then 12:00 would  be aligned with the north hex side. If the long side of the map is oriented east and west then 12;00 would be the nort hex spline.  

3.2 How target line of sight  direction is determined. A line of sight that is traced into a hex where the AFV has precise facing is  assigned a direction based on which of these 12 hexes it passes through (or would pass through if extended) with  12 hexes  being those that lie exactly 2 hexes in range from that AFV which will be called  the hex ring.  These 12 hexes are also given clock number such that the hex that is directly north of the AFV is 12:00, the next hex going clockwise is 1:00, etc. 

3.3 How the angle between 3.1 and 3.2 above is determined. The angle of the line of sight line vs the precise target facing (i.e its relative angle) is measured in hours and is simply the difference in  these facing clock position and the line of sight crossing hex clock position. Thus an hour equals  15 degrees of angle between the  target facing and the line of sight direction.

For example if the AFV were facing  in the 12:00 facing and the line of sight passed through the 12:00 hex of the hex ring then the angle of that fire would be  12:00 - 12:00 = 0 hour difference. The smallest  value is always uses so that if  the facing is 12:00 and the Line of sight  ring hex is  5:00 then the difference would be 5 hours (measured clockwise) and not 7 hours (as measured counter clockwise). 

If the LOS line crosses two hexes in the hex ring then it uses  the  clock position of the one  closest to the target clock position  Thus if the  AFV were facing  east (i.e. at the 4:00 position) and the line of sight in the LOS ring  crossed  both the 2:00 and the 3:00 hexes in the hex ring the  line of sight would be considered to be 3:00  and the angle  between the target facing and the line of sight would be 1 hour.

3.4 Relative Angle Effects on AT Shots. The effects on relative angle  on AT fire  is given in the  following table.

Relative Angle_________________ Effect on AT Fire   
0 hours (i.e <15 degrees)                              0
1 hour  (between 15 and 30 degrees)            -1  (see note1 and note 2 below)
2 hours (between  30 and 45)                      +1
3 hours or more  (greater than 45 degrees)   +2

This table replaces the +2 for cross fire rule for AT fire. 

Note 1. The -1 for  being 1 hour (between 15 and 30 degrees)  is based on if a AFV is slightly not facing an incoming shell the shell will hit the front a somewhat of a glancing blow  and if it hits the side facing it does so at a high angle of obliquity. Thus (I have read somewhere, though I can't recall where since it was many years ago) that the Afrika Korps would  advance with that slight offset counting on that effect. If one does not buy that then treat that  -1 as a 0. Or I am now thinking it only is a +1 for op fire thus in effects make the OP fire +1 a +2 for shots at that  angle.

Note 2. This sweet spot (given it exist) is probably really small. So an optional  way of assessing that could be to look beyond the range 2  hex ring to the two range 3 hexes adjacent that hex and one only gets the +1 if the  firing LOS cross the   more inward hex (i.e the one closest to the target facing hex)  but not the range 2  hex that also would be adjacent that hex and otherwise it is a 0. And if the LOS runs down the nex side between these two hexes it is a 0 and and not a +1 (and I just now lost an Israeli M48 half step to an  Egyptian 8 AT fire because of just that). And if there is only one such  range 3 hex that meet also passes through that range 2 hex ring hex then one gets the +1. And yes this rule is a bit messy.

OK, my old note 2 was  pretty messy. Here is a better one.

Note 2. Whenever the firing LOS  line crosses  the range = 2  hex ring  is 1 hour  from the facing hex in angle then  if the firing LOS  line passes  to the inside of the center of that hex then one gets the +1, else one gets a +0. If  the firing lLOS line goes even touches the center dot it is consider to be on the outside and thus gives a +0. Since no nex center dots  are drawn on PG maps one can imagine  what it would look like if the dot were the about the size of the number  on the map that show hex numbers. But if it just skirts the inside edge (that is the side of the imaginary dot closet to the target facing hex) of that imaginary dot then  consider that it does not tough it. To touch it one must be able to see the dot on both sides of the  LOS line. This in effect dived that hex (in two halves), two 30 minute angles vs an hour.

3.5. How to denote Precise AFV Facing. If one does not want to make special  facing counters, as is , existing spotting markers can be used to denote AFV facing.by placing one or two  spotting markers under the AFV that has the precise facing. If one is placed then that s in the spotting counter can be aligned to the hex side that  the AFV is facing.The diagram below shows (two the  four orientations of) how the S in the spotted counter can be used by rotating that counter to point to one of the hexes four angled hex sides. This the defines 4 of the 12 possible facings. 

The S points to  ...........................  The S points to the 
upper left hex side.  .....................lower left hex side 

S.................................................................D
....P...........................................................E
......O.......................................................T
.........T..................................................T
............T.............................................o
...............E........................................P 
.................D..................................S 

If the AFV precise facing is  toward the  horizontal or vertical hex sides (horizontal if the  hex are aligned north up by the map rotation, vertical if the hex is aligned east  west) by placing a second spotted marker under the other where this second spotting counter aligns the the  one above it  to the  other  possible  8 direction of the 12 possible. denotes that  that horizontal or vertical hex side  closest to that S in SPOTTED is the direction of the facing. If that S in this second spotted counter is rotated one rotation clockwise then that would  denote  the facing is on the spine to the right of the  hex side denoted by the spotted counter under it. If it is rotated  to the left it denotes that the AFV facing is the left spine of that hex side. Thus with just two spotted markers  one can denote 12 directions with only having to rotate them  90 degrees.

So in the above diagram say the left spotting counter is the top and the right is the bottom that would denote that the  AFV that these two counter is under the top spotting counter  says that it is the upper right hex side that is  the base for determining  the facing direction  and the  spotting counter under it is pointing in the direction of the  right spine  of that upper left hex side (by the  direction that its s is pointing).

And yes this method of denoting ASFV precise facing is a bit klutzy on how to  mark facing but is the best I can come up with  limited to using existing marker counters and if one does not like using these one can make their own custom made  facing counters or write down the facing on a piece of paper or whatever.. And it reads worse than it plays so for  it is  sort of intuitive once one gets the hang of it. But the best way I have seen to  look at this is that range 2 hex ring by looking at  at which hex the ASFV in that range ring is facing and which hex(es) the firing LOS crosses. If there is just one hex in between the shooter gets a +1, if more than 1 hex is between those then the shooter gets a +2.. So one does not have to think about angles but range 2 hex ring crossings.  

I might add that using the clear acrylic hex es that I refer to in another post works even better for one now has 6 sides  vs 4 to work with and two sies so that  supoorts the 12 directions needed to be specified. More on this later.

3.6 Precise Facing Declaration When an AFV fired upon. The first time in a turn that an AFV is fired upon by AT fire it must declare its precise facing.  It must keep that facing  for the remainder of that turn unless it moves or fires (even if it fires at nothing given there is no target to fire at)   in a subsequent action segment (but not if it fires as return fire i as per rule 6.2 below). Both that AT fire and all subsequent uses that facing to determine  the  effect as defined in the table in 3.4 above.

3.7 Precise  AFV facing when a non turreted ASFV fires. Also if an AFV that has no turret fires that  fire  determined it facing for the remainder of that turn unless it can fire again or move. The facing is determined by which hex ring hex the line of sight from the firing AFV to the target passes through. If it passes through two the the firer can choose which  facing to use between those two. Efficient, turretless AFVs can change their facing for each shot they take. But if it does want to be able change its facing  as part of that second shot it must mark itself on the first shot with a 1st shot counter and cannot take that second shot during that  action segment. Thus any fire it receives for that first  shot is based on the direction it was facing in making that first shot. Once the second shot is taken, whatever facing it had for that second  shot cannot be changed  for the remainder of that turn.

3.8. Precise Facing During Movement of an AFV. When an AFV moves that motion defines a precise facing  in regard to any AT Op fire it might receive while making that move. Since a unit can only move in 6 directions only 6 of the possible 12 facings would  thus be defined by normal movement, those six being defines by the facing  of the hex side crossed.as soon as the  AFV stops moving (and there is no further Op Fire) then the AFV facing  is no longer a precise one but is undetermined unless that ASFV is fired upon as defined in rule 3.6 above.  

AFV can  alter the  direction it is facing  in  relation to the hex side it is crossing by employing cabbing movement and  reverse motion. To do that adds and additional  +2 to the movement cost of entering a hex over what would normally be required. Nor can the AFV perform crabbing  movement if its us using a road bonus though it can use reverse. motion. crabbing motion and reverse motion is declared as an AFV moves from one hex to the next. For reverse motion one need only delay revers motion and the  facing becomes opposite that of the hex side crossed. For crabbing one declares two  stages, the forward motion of the crabbing and the reverse in either order . This is done by declaring  forward motion and and the direction of that forward motion then  reverse motion  and the  direction of that reverse motion. If the two directions  both share a common  direction then the  AFV  moves in that common direction (by paying that extra +2 movement points). 

Thus if the AFV declare forward motion at 11:00 and the reverse motion at  1:00 then  they both share moving in the 12:00  direction and thus the AFV can move  across that hex side that lies  to the 12:00  direction. In doing so it could be fired upon by AT Op fire in either of those two legs and thus would use the facing it was suing then for that leg to determine the  relative angle that shot would use in 3.4 above. So if it were shot at when moving forward  in the 11:00 facing it would use 11:00 for its facing for that shot. But if it was fired upon when moving at the  reverse in the 2:00 direction its facing would be the opposite, i.e 8:00 for that shot. 

When crabbing  op fire can be performed twice  when moving one hex by the same firing unit, once for each leg., but not for just reverse.

Note that it might be at first a bit confusing figuring out the path  of motion for crabbing and  which facing that are presented to a firer  when doing so and drawing a diagram on the side (or even just tracing that saw tooth path with ones finger of the actual map hex) helps visualize just what is happening or what one wants to happen in regard to  what direction  the facings need be to crab in the direction one wants to go. 

But the basic idea is simple. When crabbing the AFv is nit moving in  just one direction but is  taking a saw tooth  path  that alternates forward and reverse motion to keep one facing in a general direction. By drawing that saw tooth and denoting the direction for each hex traverse  may help one to keep track of this. Fortunately 90% of the time vehicles will just moved normally and only do this  when they have to face one way but move toward an different direction. And if this is too hard to figure out just using normal movement, even if it might get your AFv killed by doing so by giving AT Op fire that side shot.

[New]
From game testing I found I need to add this rule for when one has a combination of the above cases.

3.9. Combinations of facing and moving.  If an AFV is fired upon and thus must  declare a precise facing and the it later in that turn moves in a different direction that that facing, it can  do that but  before it does  the enemy can  use that to trigger a  opportunity fire for moving. Thus if the AFV were facing north to take a shot then turned to move south  the enemy could fire at it as an opportunity fire  with it still facing north  before it gets to tun and move south. This opportunity fire does not cause the +1  as normal movement so that AFV  is vulnerable from fiore in all directions from having faced north for that shot against it even if it does later in that turn move.

4.0 Off Board Infantry

In many games the board edges can have an effect on game play. This rule is intended to  reduce this effect.

4.1. How to get off board infantry.  At set up time  any player that starts the game  with combat units already on the map and that can be dug in may elect to try to obtain off board (OB) infantry. The player can attempt to obtain OB infantry for each  board edge that is on either side of where the other side sets up. There can never be any more than two map edges that one can place OB infantry (unless specified otherwise by  any special scenario rules) , the left edge and the right edge. If the other side for example sets up on the north side of the board then the OB infantry can be sought for the east and west board edges. A player that desires to  obtain OB infantry does so by rolling 1 die and consulting the  following table for each map edge that the payer desires OB infantry.

Die Roll _________0 extra turns_________ 1 extra rurn_________2 extra turns 
1. ...............................None.....................................None..............................None
2.................................None.....................................None...........................1 INF (3)
3.................................None................................... 1 INF (3)......................1 INF (5) 
4.................................1 INF (3)..............................1 INF (5)......................2 INF (5)
5.................................1 INF (5)..............................2 INF (5)......................2 INF (5) +1
6.................................2 INF (5)..............................2 INF (5) +1.................2 INF (10) +1

If the roll  gives 1 INF result the player  gets to place one infantry unit  off that map edge. If a 2 INF 

The number in parenthesis is the number of free turns that one gets to keep that OB infantry, after that at the beginning of the turn  the player rolls one die for each map edge that he has OB infantry. 

If the roll is a 1 then that infantry cost the player 1 VP. If the roll is a 6 that infantry is removed for the remainder of the game, but does not cost any VPs for being removed. Thus one has to pay to keep OB infantry but not from losing it. Before making such a roll the paler can voluntarily remove all OB infantry units on that edge permanently and thus not risk rolling any additional incurring VP losses. But buying  a +1 or a +2 die roll addition cost for each  edge so that if a player wants a +1 for each map edge that would cost 2 VP total.

The + 1 in the table means that the unit is assumed to have a leader with a +1 moral factor.

The the type of OB infantry platoon to use is the standard on board infantry platoon that is being used by that side as the infantry unit that will be  OB. If there are more than one infantry type the the one that has the most units is used at the start of play. If there is a tie, the roll a die to decide which is used. If that side has no INF units on the board then  the player can pick the unit that that side has more of as the infantry unit to be used. 

The player can  choose which of the  three columns  to use by adding game turns to the  game. Column 1 cost no extra  game turns. column 2 cost 1 extra game turn (that is the game  end is increased by 1 turn). Column 3  adds two games tunes. Also,  the payer can purchase up to  a +2 roll one the doe  b=at the cost of 1 VP per  for a +1 and 3 VP for a +2. Thus if the payer really wants to  have OB INF they can assure having that given they are willing to extend the game two addition turns and spend 3 VPs to get it. If the player  spends extra game turns those apply for both map edges so that  if one  chooses  column 3  that would only cost 2 extra turns  and the payer could use that column for rolling for both map edges.

Note that  the purpose of these cost is to attempt to  maintain paly balance  to offset to some the advantage that the one side would accrue form having OB infantry. 

Procedure.  OB Infantry units are placed  two hexes off the map edge (that is it could fire  at a 2 hex range at the three hexes that is at the edge of the map adjacent within that two hex range of  the OB unit(s) location). To do this one might draw hexes on a piece of paper and slip that under the map so to locate the OB  units. They act pretty much as any on board infantry unit with a few exceptions. 

First they are assumed to be dug in. but that is the only combat modified that they are allowed.  If there are two infantry units they are always assumed to be stacked.

They can be fired at by DF or BF (but never AF) and can  be  disrupted, demoralized, of reduced as any on board unit. However, any loses  do not count for VPs. 

The  are activated just as on board units except for  RC which is done  at the  marker removal phase  if the OB unit does not have a moved/fired counter on it. If they are demoralized and fail a RC the unit is permanently removed.

The unit can move two hexes and if it does so it cannot be fired on by OP fire and it permanently looses its dug in status. But it can only move away from  the enemy and always at 2 hexes from the map edge. But it does so  during the marker removal phase, and only if it does not have a moved/fire marker nor attempt to do a RC. 

Note in modern PG those OB INF units may also have AT weapons that also can be used. just as if they were on board units.

OB units can never spot for artillery fire. They do restrict  fleeing units or units with no leaders  from  moving closer just as on board units.

At the start of each turn once there free turns have expired  they roll  the one die to see if they cost a VP to be retained (by rolling a 1) or that they are eliminated from play (by rolling a 6). If a 6 is rolled the entire stack is removed for that map edge prior to the start of the turn. 

5.0 Voluntary Failed Rally Checks and Fleeing. Sometimes a player may hope that a unit will lose its rally check (RC) so that it can flee  and not stay  in its current hex albeit  rallied. This rule allows the player to  a demoralized unit to deliberately fail its RC or a disrupted one to  deliberately become  demoralized and then  fail it RC. The unit can only do either of these if it does not  as yet have a moved/fired counter on it. Once a unit deliberately fails it RC subsequent play proceeds just as if it  conducted the RC and failed it with the exception that it can then choose to flee that hex even if it satisfies  rule 14.31 as already being in a safe hex. If the player elects to do that  then the unit must flee to the next closet safe hex  from the one being vacated. Thus a fleeing unit can keep on fleeing even when it has arrived at a safe hex. But once it arrives at a safe hex it cannot continue fleeing until the next turn where it then could then voluntarily lose its RC. 

Thus this rules gives that player the gift that keeps on fleeing so to speak.

6.0 AFV Gun duels. This rule makes it where a stack of efficient  AFVs for example a stack of 3 don't get 6 shots at an enemy AFV before it can return any fire.

6.1 Number of Shots limitation per Fire segment.  For any  case where a AFV can fire  twice (except operatunity fire) the AFV cannot make those two shots in the same action phase but must be marked with a first fire counter for its first shot and must take it  second shot on some subsequent action segment. This would apply to any move/fire or fire/move capability as well where it would be only able to fire in one action segment and then must be marked  as a "first fire" and then can move in a subsequent action segment., or vice versa. If it moves first and the fires 9as per allowed in Modern PG)  then it needs to be noted that that second fire that  can be  performed at some subsequent action segment would  be subject to a -1 for its fire after having moved.

6.1.1 Special Rule for Modern PG. Also, in modern PG it seems that  efficient AFVs get to make DF fire twice and  these shots as well must be taken  on subsequent action segments. But they can be  combined with other Df as per the standard combining rules so as to be able to  orm fire groups as so could they do so  if they did a move and fire as well. as such FGs  of DF  can be formed by any available shooter in an action segment if it meets the criteria that makes it eligible to be part of that fire group  regardless of whether it  is a first fiore, second fire, move and fore, fore and move, op fire or only gets one fire.  However if any unit in a fire group has moved and fire or will fire an move then the entire fire group must suffer the -1 penalty for doing so.

6.2 Return Fire. If an AFV fires on a AFV with a turret or any other AFvs in that stack that AFV with the turret (or any others with a turret in that stack) can treat that as Op Fire and  fire back. but only on that firing ASFV and no others in that stack. This counts just the same as if it were OP Fire (except there is no -1 penalty)  and can be mixed with  a subsequent Op Fire triggered by either that AFV taking a second shot of by some other AFV firing at it  or either moving. AFV with out turrets may not  do this but can  employ standard OP fire against a moving AFV. And no,  return fire does not trigger return fire so there can be no chain reactions but only an AFV that is fired on by non return fire can return fire back at that firing hhex and only if it has a turret.

For example we have a 3 efficient enemy AFVs firing at a stack of two turreted AFVs (AFV 1 and AFV 2)  and one non-turreted AFV (AFV 3).  Two of the enemy AFV firing (AFV 1 and AFV 2) are efficient and can fore twice. So enemy AFV 1 fires at  AFV 1  which in turn return fire where each are marked for  having fired once and thus cannot fire again in that action segment. Next enemy AFV 2 fires at AFV 1. AFV 1 cannot return fire since it has already fired  but AFV 2 returns fire on enemy AFV 2 and  causes it a half step loss and thus enemy AFV 2  cannot fire again having lost its efficiency rating. The enemy AFV 3 fires but no return fire is possible in that the two turreted AFVs have already returned fir and the non=turreted one is not allowed to do so. The it s that players  action segment and AFV 1 and AFV 2 can't fire since they  fired as Op Fire But the non-turreted   AFV 3 that did not fire can and does and  get a good shot and kills enemy AFV 3 and is marked with  having taken its first fire. Next it is the enemies action segment and  but only AFV 1 can fire and it fires at AFV 3 and  causes it to loose a half step. But AFV 1 and 2 return fire and kills AFV 1. 

Now contrast this with the standard rule where all three enemy AFVs get to take 6 shots before  any of those friendly AFVs get to fire back and one can see the purpose of this rule. And even if all those AFvs  were turretless  the enemy would have only gotten 3 shots  (as per 6.1 above) and not 6 against the before they could fire back

And I might mention that these  rules all work together in that  these gun duel rules make the enhance fig of war rule  more critical in that is one has their turn stolen from them that could be really bad in a AFV duel if one does not have turreted  AFVs to return fire on the spot but has to wait to that next action segmenting.  But one could avoid this by having one's  tank battles early in the turn before having to make fog of war ralls. .. or choose to do just the opposite. Now just what this might simulate in real life (if anything) may be hard to say., maybe that waiting to just the right moment to open fire is a good thing. But in game turns it does give the player yet another choice to make. and thPG is not just a combat simulator but is a game. and games can be more fun sometimes by having to make such choices. 

BTW, with these rules (and especially for PG modern) One has to sometimes remember  just what  type of first "fire" event was taken  to assess the second fire. For example in Modern PG was it a move or a fire, if the former then a -1 is required on that second shot but not so if  the first fire was not a move but an actual shot. .So (using my water erasable markers and some  surplus moved/fired counters I made  my own  first fire counters by redacted either the move or fire text on that counter to indicate what that first move was. Thus if the  AFV first moved I would  use the  MOVED FIRE counter where FIRE was redacted because the unit has not yet fired but just has moved. had it fired and will then move I  would mark it  with this  counter MOVED FIRED. 

These seem to work pretty well and most PG player probably have surplus moved /fired counters and  water  erasable ,markers are just great to have when doing any board gaming, especially if one lays down clear plastic sheets over their maps for when they dray the  do not smudge but easily come of with just a  bit of water. They are also great for coloring counter edges and I like to do this with my marker counter so they are easier seen in a stack. I also like to  use these water erasable markers to box in the text on a disruption counter with red and a demoralized counter with black hearkening back to their  previous colors of red and black and that makes them stand out a bit better. That is both fun to do (if one loves their cardboard counters) and gives them more pop. But being water erasable one can easily restore them back to their pristine conditions with a just a tiny drop of water, not enough to do any damage to the counter... though one might want to test out  doing this  on a throw away counter  just to make sure their pens do this before  doing this to tany keepers. The brand I use is Expo Viis. A.Vis wet erase and they work great.

7.0 Slight Rises in Terrain Height.  The contour lines on the PG map represent 20 metes  increments in height. This rule  provides a way to have  slight rises in terrain height for the tops of hills. 

7.1 How to Determine  Slight Rises in Terrain. The elevations that are defined by the contour lines  printed on the map are considered the base elevation for all the hexes  contained in that contour line that are that same height. All hexes at that base elevation  that have contour lines  (i.e are slopes)  are considered to be exactly at that base elevation. each non slope hex  at that same base elevation is considered to be just  a bit higher. How much so is determined by how many hexes to the nearest slope hex of equal height for that hill (that does not cross a higher slope). 

So a hex that is 2 hexes from the nearest slope hex is considered to be just a bit higher than a hex that is 1 hex from the nearest slope hex  just as that hex is considered to be  a bit higher than the slop hexes that it is  adjacent. But if a hex is 6 hexes from one slope and only 4 hexes  from another hex but there is a higher slope  in between then the slope  6 hexes away would be considered the closest. 

7.2 Effects of slights Rises on LOS. When tracing LOS along hexes at the same  base elevation (and on the same hill) as long as  the  hill height is monotonically increasing (i.e keeps getting higher or  is the same height) or monotonically decreasing (keeps getting lower of the same), that is depending one which direction one is tracking the LOS) from low to high or high to low) use the basic LOS rules as defined in rule 8.3. But if  that is not the case and that hex that does not satisfy the condition will block any hexes  beyond that hex except for hexes at higher base elevations. This rounds the top of hills so the highest hex on the hill is the  hex that is furthest from the  slope hex.  So basically this rule defines the front side and the back sides of hill tops and one cannot  from the front side of a hill see over to the back side unless at a higher base elevation,

[new]
8.0 Snipers.

8.1 When to  Roll a Sniper check. When ever a leader's action has a dice roll associated with it (e.g. a moral check, rally check or leader directed fire of any type) and that roll is a unmodified 12 then  that leader needs to roll a sniper check for each roll that leader is attempting to effect. This if two units  are performing a rally check of a moral check that leader is applying its moral bonus tne then each of those two  die rolls if they roll the unmodified 12  would trigger a sniper check. 

8.2 How to Resolve a Sniper Check. A sniper check is resolved by rolling a modified initiative determination roll where each side rolls a die. In addition to the normal modifiers to a initiative determination roll  the DF bonus for the terrain the leader currently occupies at that time of their initiative roll. (i.e. it always pays to be in good cover).  The leader subtracts whatever  fire or moral bonus they employed during that action that triggered the sniper check. Hence being a hero makes one more susceptible to sniper fire. As such a leader can elect not to use its combat or moral bonus when making an action or use only 1 if it has a 2 bonus by declaring that before resolving that action.. 

In addition, if during set up that player had pieces on the board and was allowed to dig in then they get a +1 to their initiation die roll (for resolving  either their own or the enemy's sniper check). This reflects that they had time to deploy their snipers. If both sides  meet this then the two cancel each other out. If one side aloso had enetrencments thne  that side would get  the+1 bonus over the other side that could just dig in its units at set up. But that bonus is never more than 1 given that one side  has entrenchments and the other cannot dig in.

8.3. Effects. If  a side looses  a sniper check the leader is eliminated. If the roll is a tie then that leader  rolls a moral check instead. If more than one leader  was involved then the leader that  used the highest bonus factor  is lost. If there is a tie then  roll  a die to  pick the leader to be lost. If a leader  is lost to a sniper  check them all the units that leader can control in that hex must  roll a MC with the lost leaders  moral  factor added (and not subtracted) to that MC (though if there is another leader in that hex its moral bonus can be  subtracted to that MC. The loss is applied after the  action that the leader was supporting is resolved.

This rule is mostly chrome in that it probably but does affect how one plays but does  highlight that there is a risk in playing the hero and can  make one think twice before having a leader do so. But for those that like to have snipers lurking around on the battlefield this is  one way to have that. If one thinks they lose too many leaders with this rule then one can add a further die roll to reduce the frequency of sniper kills of leaders.

[New]
9.0 Leader Loss of Resolve.  Every time a side loses an initiative level (or would have done so if the current initiative were not already zero) then the  over all commander must take a Commander Resolve Moral check (with a +2 added to it if its initiative level is already zero before that loss of initiative). 

9.1. Effects. if If it fails that and is already demoralized it is not eliminated but place a second demoralized counter on it and both have to be removed for the leader to return to good order by subsequent rally checks. However, that leaders morale bonus can be applied to any subsequent self rally checks to remove any bonus  demoralization  markers (thou not when there is just remains one demoralized  counter which then is removed as per the normal rules. Thus a  leader with a moral of 10 and a morale bonus of 2 could regain its resolve typically faster than  a leader leader with sujc a 10 moral and  0 moral bonus.

If in rallying  a unmodified 2 is rolled all demoralized counter are removed and the commander is returned to good order.

There are no limits to just how much resolve a leader can get and such a leader can have any number of demoralization markers if they keep losing units and can't ever pass their rally checks.  The leader's moral level is reduced by one for each  demoralized counter that it has gained signifying the loneliness of command. However these extra  demoralized counters have no other effect to that leader for normal function than just having one other than that reduced moral is used for determining the enhanced fog of war rules (if used). Note that  the  disrupted side of extra demoralized counters or not used and once a rally check rallies a leader with more than one  demoralized markers that demoralized marker is removed but not replaced by a disrupted marker. Also, a full step that is mired (for whatever reason) can immediately become un-mired by  flipping to the half  step side (and thus the un=mired AFvs leave the mired ones behind which for game purposes are no longer in play but do not count as VPs due to losses or initiative  reduction).

10.0 AFV Immobilization from BF. If a M2 is rolled from BF against a stack containing one or more AFVs  then each AFV in the stack must make an immobilization roll. If the  armor factor for the AFV is  greater than 2 then  only an M2 resulting from a dice roll was  less than  7 causes  that AFV  to require an immobilization check. Immobilization checks are conducted much  the same as a mire check with the same effects. They can be removed just the same as a regular mire as well. If there are more than one AFV in the hex each must and a suitable M2 is rolled each AFV must make a immobilization check but the first to fail ends  that so no more than one AFV unit can ever be  immobilized by one  BF action fora given action segment. The player can choose the order  to make these checks.

10.1 Immobilization Effects.  Mired AFVs (regardless of cause)  is treated as if it were flipped to its half side (as it is likely that the entire platoon is not immobilized). If an already reduced ASFV counter is mired it is treated as  disrupted whether it has a disrupted counter or not. If it is ever demoralized it is treated as such with no additional fire power or moral penalty. If fired at by any type of fire a mired AFV gives a +1 column shift or AT factor to the shooter. A mired  AFv cannot removed its mired  markers unless in good order (i.e. has not disrupted or demoralized counter on it even if it is never the less treated as if it were disrupted.)

10.2 [optional] AFVs in town hexes for not get -2 for bombardment fire. (They are outside the building in the streets ana alleys and  though building give them some cover they also can collapse and  partially  obstruct the AFv with rubble. 

FINIS!

This concludes all my PG house rules (unless I think of some more). I still may refine these a bit based on  play test results and such.  yes, there are a lot of them. Most do not have a profound effect on the game but all  add new  factors  that a  crafty player can use to  gain  advantage over their opponent or prevent their opponent from doing to them. And  if these do not improve the realism of play or cause  player to do things more like  their real counterparts would they do add more crunch to the narrative by introducing new factors that effect the game as oit plays out without detracting too terribly much from game playability other than  having to learn and  remember and apply  et more rules..