Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alamein game...
06-12-2017, 06:30 AM,
Alamein game...
What system is the Alamein game part of? I know it's not PG, but what other AP system does it correspond to? 

I ask because I keep seeing on eBay and now Mike says (in the latest GC Newsletter) that he is going to resurrect it with spare parts that he's discovered. So I'm curious....
06-12-2017, 09:28 AM,
RE: Alamein game...
No clue; it has 2,100 pieces so it's definitely a no-no to me.

There are many unpunched copies available on BGG for $45-50.
06-12-2017, 09:42 AM,
(06-12-2017, 06:30 AM)Coniglius Wrote: What system is the Alamein game part of? I know it's not PG, but what other AP system does it correspond to? 

I ask because I keep seeing on eBay and now Mike says (in the latest GC Newsletter) that he is going to resurrect it with spare parts that he's discovered. So I'm curious....

Here is the AP link; Alamein - Avalanche Press
06-12-2017, 03:59 PM,
I think it uses a similar system to a couple of games, but long out of print ones. I have a copy that I'm looking to unload, because, neat as it looks, it's not getting played.
06-13-2017, 07:33 AM,
Alamein was part of a family of games using the chit pull mechanic which used to have a folder called decisive battles on consimworld.  Two games setvin Finland, a game, on the Malaya campaign, Red Steel in the Eastern front.  Each game shared similar mechanics, but varied in their rules.
06-13-2017, 11:22 AM,
Not quite the same. Although Alamein had chit pull it was in a system with only Red Steel, Red Parachutes and Avalanche where the chits reflected only which formations could move/fight. The system included a lot more than the Malaya, Finland, Arakan games. I enjoy the system and have all four games.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-13-2017, 05:54 PM,
I really wish Red Desert had eventually come out. That was supposed to be in the same system and was on the brief but bloody Soviet and Japanese border skirmish in what is now NE China / Mongolia. Super cool, super under covered bit of history. Ultimately just too niche, though, even for AP I guess...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-14-2017, 11:06 AM,
Theoretically it will surface using the same mechanics as Winter Fury, accompanied by a PG Nomahan.
06-14-2017, 02:26 PM,
(06-14-2017, 11:06 AM)larry marak Wrote: Theoretically it will surface using the same mechanics as Winter Fury, accompanied by a PG Nomahan.

Some day!?!?
06-15-2017, 03:51 AM,
Is Red Desert one of the old pre-order games?

I own Red Steel but I have not played it. I may redo the graphics first (to 125 or 150%) to make it easier for my limited vision. Unless someone out there as a private Vassal module for it and needs someone to test it before submitting it to Avalanche Press.