Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 18 Deadliest Battles in American Military History
12-04-2022, 09:33 AM,
The 18 Deadliest Battles in American Military History
Kind of interesting and I posted it over on CSW as well:

The 18 Deadliest Battles in American Military History (historycollection.com)
goosebrown likes this post
12-05-2022, 08:34 AM,
RE: The 18 Deadliest Battles in American Military History
Limited to WWI and WWII and I think that some of the Civil War battles were worse. Cold Harbor, Antietam, Shiloh and Gettysburg, but I don't have any numbers.
cochise75, Miguelibal, Schoenwulf And 7 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
12-06-2022, 04:22 PM,
(12-05-2022, 08:34 AM)goosebrown Wrote: Limited to WWI and WWII and I think that some of the Civil War battles were worse. Cold Harbor, Antietam, Shiloh and Gettysburg, but I don't have any numbers.

I believe that I read that Antietam was the bloodiest day in your history.
Sonora, treadasaurusrex, CavDo And 7 others like this post
12-07-2022, 04:13 AM,
(12-06-2022, 04:22 PM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 08:34 AM)goosebrown Wrote: Limited to WWI and WWII and I think that some of the Civil War battles were worse. Cold Harbor, Antietam, Shiloh and Gettysburg, but I don't have any numbers.

I believe that I read that Antietam was the bloodiest day in your history.

At the end of the article they note that these battles covered several days or even week while the civil war battles usually lasted only a day or two. I believe that in the dead per day category you are absolutely correct.
Reconquista, Miguelibal, cochise75 And 8 others like this post
"It was a battle right fierce and terrible" - Froissart
12-24-2022, 03:31 PM,
Antietam was the bloodiest single day, with the bloodiest battles of the ACW in order of total causalities:  Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Spotsylvania Court House, Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, most of the battles were 2-3 days with Spotsylvania being a 2 week battle.  
One of the great things about living just outside of Philly in the late 80's was being a short drive to many Civil War Battlefields, if you ever get a chance go visit Antietam, walking around that battlefield (Bloody Lane, Burnsides Bridge, the Cornfield) you can see why it was the bloodiest day in US History.
cochise75, CavDo, Tambu And 8 others like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"