Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
05-25-2017, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017, 10:55 AM by RLW.)
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values
Thanks for the comment.

My thought on you example  was that maybe one could use  a 1 plus up for that case and  use the 9 sided die instead of the 8 (see my lined out text). But then i though (for the hybrid method,  even though it could never round up a good roll on the positive die would at least keep it from  rounding down to the 16.  For with the  plus/minus method  the die rolls have three results, bumping the total up a comumn, leaving it at the same column, or bumping it down a column. The later is required to keep the over all average lethality the same.

As far as writing a Daily Content I thought I would  do a lot more testing  before thinking about doing that. Mainly I have done this to enhance my own game experinece. But I posted it here in that I thought maybe others might like it too, or at least  think it interesting. But it does add complexity and that is something that it seems  AP is avoiding  so as not to let requirements creep  rob PG of being in the easy to learn category. So I would think something like this might be a a bit of hard sell to AP, unless the  bagns (i.e. fun level) to bucks (i.e. bogged down game play) ratio turns out to be really high y. For me, I don't really mind the extra complexity and I like the chrome, the nuance, and savoring the narrative as it emerges, vs simple rules and fast paced action. But I have no feel how others might weigh in on that. and take a lot more work than I might be up to doing.

What I hope to do is  continue my test ting on thsi scenario and post how it seems to all work as to ease of play vs  fun level and such. But I am more of a dabbler than a perfectionist so that may be as far as i take this, for onece I get it to I am happy with it that might be as far as I care to take it, where  it may still be a bit shy of being ready for prime time. And I am sure there may be simplifications that might  do the job but easier. But those can be hard to find and take a lot more time and effort than just tossing it out here on the forum for comment. But if  it does seem to work really well and looks like something others may like I might consider doing what you have suggested. 

I might add that I am not so much of a gamer but more of a history buff and like to think of these not so much as a game to be played, won, or lost or to show my mettle as a player  but rather asa reenactment that  lays out little dramas of what happened or might have happened in the said historical situation so as to better understand it. So adding more nuanced makes more nuanced dramas and (perhaps) more understanding, i.e. one can see  why they did what they did or didn't do what they did not do. And what I find is that  the extra die rolls don't so much add  complexity to the game system (to my thinking)  but rather allows that drama to further  be told as one sees if one can get that bump to the next column (or in the two die system avoid a bump down) and thus slows the action down  so that one can better see that drama unfold. 

But i am not so sure others would see this that way and may just see it as needless added complexity with little  addition game play value to show for it. That is what i suppose separates the true game designer form the dilatant dabbler like myself, that feel for what their customers would like and not like, where all I need worry about is whether i like it or not. For I care more about innovation and less about who might like or not like said innovation, not that I don't care, but rather just do not have a good feel for that, so any feedback would be quite helpful in that regard. .. so once again, thanks for the comment.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 05-25-2017, 06:32 AM