Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
05-23-2017, 12:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017, 04:15 AM by RLW.)
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values
It also makes  5s and 6's different that even two 5's is a 10 and two 6's a 12  but both  less than the 13. But with this a 6 has a 25% chance of bumping up to a 7 so it is better than a 5. And  two 5's only has a 25% chance of bumping up to a 13 while two 6's has a 75% chance of doing so. So it rewards having even  a point more fire power.  

Now if one likes the extra resolution but not the increase in lethality one can  roll two interpolation die, one that using the difference for the  two barketing listed  numbers that  adds and the other uses the  difference of the  lower value and the next lowest that subtracts. For example say one has a original total of 15 for DF. Then one would use the 18-13 = 5 die roll to add and the 3-9= 4 sided die to subtract to that that original DR of 15. Say one rolled a 3 for the  5  sided roll and a 1 for the 4 sided roll that would  give 15 + 4-1 = 18 which would bump up the roll. But if say the  4 sided  die roll  was 2 the total would just and round back down to 13. But say the  original value was 14 5 sided  die roll was only 1 and the  4 sided  die roll was 3 then the  be 14 + 1 -3 =  12 and that would round down to 9.

With this method one should roll for even original values that  equal the listed in that there is the possibility of being bumped down instead of being bumped up. So say  one has a 13, that would not be enough to assure that this would not be bumped down by a high roll on the  negative die roll and a low one on the positive one. This would require one more die roll and a bit more mental gymnastics than the other method but would  tend to not so much  increase lethality in that these interpolation rolls could hurt one as well as help one. I might test this out on a game or two and see how well it works.

[edit]
And let me end here with one more thought. The  additional only interpolation method probably in effect raises the over all lethality by in effect creating  (on the average) a +.5 shift. The  additive/subtractive  two die interpolation method bring that average back to about 0 in that it also adds a -.5 due to via the negative roll  that roughly cancels out the +.5. And the hybrid method allows that .5 (on the average ) shift to model things that just don't warrant a full + 1 shift such as perhaps special leader abilities and such. 

And that is this idea in a nutshell (albeit perhaps a somewhat lengthy one at that). But what i set out to do was to devise a method to do linear interpolation of CRT results that did not add  new tables and such  but does add an addition one or two die rolls (based on which method  one might employ). I am sure there are other ways to skin that cat as well, given that cat even needs to be skinned. Now method 1 i have tested and seems to work well, if one does not mind the  lethality boost. I can't really comment  more on methods 2 and 3 until I test them out in actual game play. So I include those other two variants to this basic method here for those that might like the idea but are not happy with any lethality boosts  as a way to achieve that goal without adding too much more complexity to play, and even (perhaps) provide the underlying mechanics to  do other things as well by making that  boost in lethality for method 1 a feature and not a bug. 

But for me, having played PG for many years now, adding a bit of extra chrome now and then to it adds new life to a very beloved  and tried and tested system and thus help ms me maintain that same level of enthusiasm I had when I first starting playing the game,  regardless of whether I continue in the future to use that new chrome or not, either way it is fun to devise and test them out to see how well they work... or fail to work. That is one of the (many)  advantages of board games over computer games in that one can easily do that  with board games but (typically) not so easily with computer games where one can try out different  mods to rules and such and see how they work... and to see if it turns out to be one's cup of tea or not. 

And for me the difference between roll playing games and  purely strategy/tactical games is that  in the former one does things to play a roll  even though doing that brings no reward  for doing so in the game mechanics while the later  does. So when I play PG I tend to roll play a bit  to avoid gamey tactics and having a way to make that less of role playing and having the game reward such behavior is a plus, given that it in turn does not bog down game play too much. So that here yet another goal in devising this system to  instill those things that one might do  under the guise of roll playing into the game mechanics so that  there can be a material advantage in adding  that extra point of fire power rather than it being discarded by the (dreaded) rounding down. Thus it makes it easier to do that given that it in turn can buy one some benefit  other than (merely) satisfying one's own sense of proper tactical operation/realisms.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 05-23-2017, 12:09 PM