Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rule 7.52 Separate Column Modifiers
05-05-2017, 10:05 PM,
Rule 7.52 Separate Column Modifiers
HI guys,  playing Hopeless But Not Serious Scenario 6, and I have a question regarding bombardment fire. Here is the situation:

1. The Austrian mortars have a shot at a German artillery unit that is currently limbered and being towed by a wagon. 
2. Austrians attack at an '8' with modifiers for:
   a. target being artillery (+1)
   b. target is spotted by firing unit (+1)
   c. target is loaded wagon (+1)
3. Austrian Mortar now attacks at the '21' column... or do they? 

Here's my dilemma... is this two separate attacks (one vs the artillery at the 16 column and one versus the wagon) or does rule 5.67 apply where the attack is made against the wagon, and the effects are felt by both the wagon and the artillery? 

I know the answer is in there somewhere, but I can't find it.  Thank you in advance!!!

05-05-2017, 10:57 PM,
RE: Rule 7.52 Separate Column Modifiers
We always treated such a target as only the transport. So you would fire on the 16 column as it is loaded wagon (+1) and self-spotting mortar (+1).
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-05-2017, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017, 11:11 PM by Poor Yorek.)
5.65 P.2 (below) also seems to suggest that a transported unit is attacked via the transporting unit: note that the transport conveys either its advantages or disadvantages.

While personnel units and leaders are normally immune to anti-tank fire, they are eliminated if a transport carrying them is destroyed by anti-tank fire. Conversely, a personnel unit loaded on an APC is protected by the APC's armor value, and is immune to all results on the direct fire and bombardment table except X, 2X and 3X.
05-06-2017, 12:01 AM,
(05-05-2017, 11:10 PM)Poor Yorek Wrote: 5.65 P.2 (below) also seems to suggest that a transported unit is attacked via the transporting unit: note that the transport conveys either its advantages or disadvantages.

While personnel units and leaders are normally immune to anti-tank fire, they are eliminated if a transport carrying them is destroyed by anti-tank fire. Conversely, a personnel unit loaded on an APC is protected by the APC's armor value, and is immune to all results on the direct fire and bombardment table except X, 2X and 3X.

Yeah I  came to the same conclusion a little while ago. It's area fire against the entire contents of the hex, not just the wagon or the towed artillery piece.  What happens to the wagon happens to its contents as well.  End result was a morale check, which the wagon failed, so the wagon is disrupted, the artillery is unloaded and sitting on its towed side, and the LT is cowering under the wagon.