Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start?
04-02-2017, 11:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017, 11:12 PM by larry marak.)
RE: Where to start?
(04-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Aussie_digger Wrote: Well shipping on 1 game say Elsenborn ridge, is going to cost me $42 US from AP would the membership give discounts on shipping and purchases?

It reduces purchase price only.  Be sure to request any journals that are PG themed, as they cost nothing.  And free PG, which will take you to Kursk.
04-02-2017, 11:26 PM,
(04-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Aussie_digger Wrote: Well shipping on 1 game say Elsenborn ridge, is going to cost me $42 US from AP would the membership give discounts on shipping and purchases?
The member ship would only help on games/merchandise cost, not on shipping. If you are only getting 1 game from APL, The membership doesn't work for you..
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-03-2017, 09:21 AM,
Yeah I don't want to dive right in yet, would like to get 1 game and see how I like the series first. I like the idea of elsenborn ridge and then getting the new supplement I think of 3rd armoured (can't remember it's name) that only needs elsenborn.

Though I have found a brand new copy of Liberation 44 with 4th ed rules on eBay for around $80 US delivered, would this be a good title to cut my teeth on
06-20-2017, 09:28 AM,
(03-30-2017, 09:31 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Both are interesting games, I feel the scenarios are more ragged from a balance perspective. There is no reason you couldn't use 4th Ed Rules and charts in either game.

Desert Rats has 2 maps of rather simplistic terrain. All hexes are clear unless otherwise noted in the scenario special rules. The most frequent modification is creating hills.. If you are into experimentation, you should get it. I found the British armor to be less interesting than Afrika Korps. Otherwise I think I was pretty good.

Beyond Normandy was sort of a beauty pageant in mu-mus. The game introduces some interesting concepts. It is the 2nd game in which SS troops appear. The scenarios reflect the attritional approach to warfare the British are employing. There are 2 problems that may give you pause. The maps are very different from the system. A strange mix of comic and ugly. The British Firefly tanks are underrated, though the system will overrate them for this time period when Lib'44 is introduced. If you can get it cheap get it for the counters & scenarios, otherwise wait for Lib'44.

So If I can score 2 games for $45 total out the door - - Afrika Korps & Beyond Normandy - is that cosidered "Cheap" Enough?
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
06-20-2017, 10:55 AM,
Absolutely.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-22-2017, 11:48 AM,
So I was also able to score Desert Rats for $20.00.
However..... It is Brand New and still in Shrink wrap.
Dangit. It showed up today.
Shall I rip it open and dig in or start with another that's on the way :
Elsenborn Ridge.
Afrika Korps.
Beyond Normandy.
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
06-22-2017, 11:59 AM,
(06-22-2017, 11:48 AM)Dan Storm Wrote: So I was also able to score Desert Rats for $20.00.
However..... It is Brand New and still in Shrink wrap.
Dangit. It showed up today.
Shall I rip it open and dig in or start with another that's on the way :
Elsenborn Ridge.
Afrika Korps.
Beyond Normandy.

Its probably best to not start with Beyond Normandy. The terrain is a mess even for experienced players, and was designed for a ruleset that never really existed in terms of hills.

The rest all would be decent starting points. Afrika Korps scenario # 1 is a tiny one that is a good one to get your feet wet with. Its not all that exciting but is a nice way to learn by doing with the fundamentals.
06-22-2017, 12:34 PM,
I only have Desert Rats in my possession. The others gave been ordered from various sources and are on the way.
Shall I remove the shrink wrap from DR and have at it or wait?
06-22-2017, 01:51 PM,
(06-22-2017, 12:34 PM)Dan Storm Wrote: I only have Desert Rats in my possession. The others gave been ordered from various sources and are on the way.

by all means, tear it open and get started then Big Grin
06-22-2017, 05:24 PM,
(06-22-2017, 12:34 PM)Dan Storm Wrote: I only have Desert Rats in my possession. The others gave been ordered from various sources and are on the way.

1. Remove shrink wrap
  2. Remove lid carefully
  3. Inhale deeply
  4. Search for nail clippers
  5. ...you know the rest Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...