Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
favorite scenarios
02-20-2017, 11:39 PM,
favorite scenarios
  What are examples of your favorite scenarios, and why?  I will first offer a few of my own.

Road to Berlin #38, "Flemings Sabred":  Soviet cavalry assault Belgian SS in a couple of small towns.  A notch below the next two scenarios I highlight, this one draws my interest for being different.  It was the first time I did lots of cavalry charges and encourages me to find more cavalry scenarios.

Winter Soldiers #17, "A Manhay Christmas":  A majority of my still-limited experience with PG has been urban assaults.  Both times I've played this scenario it was a rural assault, a pitched battle along the edge of a hill.  Toss in a lot of Yankee armor and an interesting mix of German AT guns, a Panther, and a StuG and you've got a strong scenario.

Road to Berlin #48, "Kustrin Corridor":  Classic example of quality versus quantity.  The Soviets have a lot more foot soldiers and tanks, but they must defeat a German combined force that includes fewer but superior armor.

To me A Manhay Christmas and Kustrin Corridor have come closest to showing off PG for all it can be.  My perception is both scenarios are at least a little bit unbalanced (Germans could use a couple more armor units in AMC, and Soviets could use a few more in KC).  That is the only reason I did not rate those scenarios a 5.

So again, what are your favorite scenarios, and why?
02-21-2017, 04:46 AM,
RE: favorite scenarios
A few 5's I've rated are:

AFD016
RoRb010
NoEl004

The AARs are all up to explain the "why."
02-21-2017, 02:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM by Coniglius.)
I like the monster scenarios. Heck, I like Monster Games (I own quite a few; AH Longest Day, CoA Home Before the Leaves Fall, and others). With that said, my all time favorite PG scenario is Afrika Korps 2 Capture of Giarabub. It is a 199 turn monster that I have actually played twice, and would gladly play again!!!

I am gearing up for the monster of all monster PG scenarios: Cassino '44 campaign 2. That's the 384 turn beast. I plan on starting that in June and playing it throughout the summer!!!
02-22-2017, 12:45 AM,
Someone played Campaign 2 and based at the pace he was playing other scenarios, I would estimate he took him 150+ hours to complete that one.

I've played a number scenarios that took 16+ hours but nowadays I prefer those that play within 3 to 8 hours.
02-23-2017, 10:03 AM,
In order of my memory:

Romanian Soil #6: A Slow Response: Plenty to like, crazed Romanian tank riders, variable reinforcements, multiple victory conditions, etc.

Iron Wolves #8: Bet Lietuvis Neprazus: I can't pronounce it either but a huge Soviet force has to try to dislodge the Lithuanians. It was a blast.

War on the Equator #3: Land, Sea and Air: So very much going on in this one with airlanding troops, amphibious landings and pure Blitzkrieg from the Peruvians while the Ecuadorans try to mount any kind of defense.

Kursk, South Flanks #3: Attack of the Lifeguards: This IS Kursk as we have all read about it.

Fronte Russo #41: Ring of Fire: Just what I think of when I think of Eastern Front infantry battles.

Road to Berlin #1: Red Danube: Hungarians! River Crossings!
No "minor" country left behind...