Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deal with "White Israelis"?
02-16-2017, 03:19 AM,
Deal with "White Israelis"?
So APL made the following statement: We’ll go with the legendary “white Israeli” pieces, ...

What's legendary about them, for good or ill?  Does ink smear on them?  Was white the original color or did they start with blue (was it) or vice versa?

Huh
02-16-2017, 03:30 AM,
RE: Deal with "White Israelis"?
(02-16-2017, 03:19 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: So APL made the following statement: We’ll go with the legendary “white Israeli” pieces, ...

What's legendary about them, for good or ill?  Does ink smear on them?  Was white the original color or did they start with blue (was it) or vice versa?

Huh

From what I have been able to gather, white pieces were used in the promo art and the first printings but the design did not cope well with the laser scorching issue at the time, so they were changed to the blue pieces instead.
02-16-2017, 03:30 AM,
Yes the original was with white counters but AP had too many problems with laser counters and the color white, so they printed the next batch in blue. Now with the normal die-cut counters back in use at AP, white won't be a problem anymore, so back to the original white counters.
02-16-2017, 03:37 AM,
The originals are blue with gold print. I have seen other games that have counters that are white with blue print/star. Maybe APL meant conventional, rather than legendary. Sounds more dramatic, like adding rivalry or grudge match to a football game.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-16-2017, 05:39 AM,
Thanks, gentlemen.
02-16-2017, 06:08 AM,
(02-16-2017, 03:37 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The originals are blue with gold print. I have seen other games that have counters that are white with blue print/star. Maybe APL meant conventional, rather than legendary. Sounds more dramatic, like adding rivalry or grudge match to a football game.

Actually, the originals were white with blue print.  VPG was doing the laser printing (actually Victory Point Press, a division, and I digress) and the guy running the laser didn't do much quality control over the production, and the vast majority of the white counters came out severely scorched.  At one point, Dr. B sent me one of them to show how bad they were.  They quickly switched over to the blue/gold counters.  I don't know if any copies went out with the white/blue, however that was the intended color from the beginning.
02-16-2017, 06:36 AM,
I got an original with white/blue printed counters and was fortunate to have good laser cut counters.
02-16-2017, 06:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2017, 06:45 AM by JayTownsend.)
Looking at them now and they are just ok. Sorry, I took the picture, with them on the Little Bighorn map from another game. And the upload from my phone only got the edge of the counters from that picture. Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

02-16-2017, 08:30 AM,
Jay - if you ever want to trade those "hard to find" designer white counters.. for my 'normal' blue.. let me know Smile

This game does not get the love it deserves !
02-16-2017, 10:01 AM,
" ... with them on the Little Bighorn map ..."

Wow, Twilight Zone flashback (that was a Stuart, though).