Poll: After you put in your comments feel free to awnseer this poll for at a glance stats
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Afrika Korps
0%
0 0%
Desert Rats
3.70%
1 3.70%
Elsenborn
48.15%
13 48.15%
Invasion 44
11.11%
3 11.11%
Other
37.04%
10 37.04%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob getting into PzGren
02-17-2017, 09:05 AM,
RE: Noob getting into PzGren
Reason 1 for not many Vassal modules, APL holds the copyrights and doesn't want a lot of online modules (sort of like the SPI thing). Reason 2, apart from Airborne:IE, I have made the modules. Counter graphics aren't a problem, good map images are, and it takes a while.

All the games have big & small scenarios. Elsenborn has the advantage of not very much weirdness, a fairly recognizable counter mix, interesting maps without being busy. AaD has a quite varied counter mix of 5 countries, maps are a little strange. CoE has rough country maps (like AaD), but an unusual environment, a little more busy, lots of Italians. I think that the maps in Kokoda and Invasion are too congested for starter games (lots of jungle or hedgerows).
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-17-2017, 01:49 PM,
(02-17-2017, 09:05 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Reason 1 for not many Vassal modules, APL holds the copyrights and doesn't want a lot of online modules (sort of like the SPI thing). Reason 2, apart from Airborne:IE, I have made the modules. Counter graphics aren't a problem, good map images are, and it takes a while.

All the games have big & small scenarios. Elsenborn has the advantage of not very much weirdness, a fairly recognizable counter mix, interesting maps without being busy. AaD has a quite varied counter mix of 5 countries, maps are a little strange. CoE has rough country maps (like AaD), but an unusual environment, a little more busy, lots of Italians. I think that the maps in Kokoda and Invasion are too congested for starter games (lots of jungle or hedgerows).

what weirdness are you talking about, like new rules? Examples would be abolished.
02-17-2017, 02:03 PM,
Mostly strange terrain, units that require special rules, unique troop types. Nothing too difficult. Just if it is your first game, it adds more to learn.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-17-2017, 11:05 PM,
(02-17-2017, 02:03 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Mostly strange terrain, units that require special rules, unique troop types. Nothing too difficult. Just if it is your first game, it adds more to learn.

OK thanks. Yah I see what you mean by rough terrain in AaaD, but that of in it's self doesn't seem to bad, rather that rough terrain should make things interesting. Also the counters don't really bug me since most of them are fairly familiar to me.
02-18-2017, 12:03 AM,
That is why I suggest Elsenborne as a starter. Terrain is simple: clear, town, fields, woods, lt. woods, roads, and hills. Not complicated and enough to play in. Weirdest unit is the M18, and not usually a big deal if you forget its peculiarities, unlike Ferdinands, Goliaths, Alpini/Gebirgsjägers, and flamethrowers.
02-18-2017, 08:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2017, 03:53 AM by Nghanayem.)
(02-18-2017, 12:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: That is why I suggest Elsenborne as a starter. Terrain is simple: clear, town, fields, woods, lt. woods, roads, and hills. Not complicated and enough to play in. Weirdest unit is the M18, and not usually a big deal if you forget its peculiarities, unlike Ferdinands, Goliaths, Alpini/Gebirgsjägers, and flamethrowers.

Lol I didn't even know there were counters for Goliaths!  Tongue ps I don't see any rules that are weird about the m18 or any of the other elsenborne/aaad units. Also I finally finished the demo scenario, school definitely slowed things down, however the game was a blast. During the first half of the game I made alot of mistakes but by the last three turns I feel I fixed all of my mistakes.
02-23-2017, 06:16 PM,
Elsenborn also has 300+ logged plays and 140+ AARs so you can virtually learn with more experienced hands looking over your shoulder.

Peter is too modest to come out and say it, but making VASSAL modules - particularly with lots of different units - is really fucking tedious and almost entirely thankless.

Also, I believe Ethiopia will have a module released sooooooooooooooon so keep an eye out for that!

(many, many thanks to the thanked-far-less-than-he-should-be Mr. Lloyd!)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-23-2017, 09:24 PM,
[Image: blush.gif]
02-23-2017, 09:44 PM,
Ethiopia has many scenarios that are good choices for new players.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-18-2017, 02:03 PM,
I too have gained an interest in PG in the past few days and have been reading everything I can.
I have joined the AP Gold Club.
Can someone please tell me how to purchase the La Campagne de Tunisie supplement from the AP Website?

Thank You.
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."