Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guadalcanal Q&A
07-15-2012, 10:41 AM,
Guadalcanal Q&A
A folder for the Guadalcanal Questions & Answers!

1. Jungles and digging In.
A. Yes units can Dig-In on Jungle hexes, as just about half of the scenarios in Guadalcanal & Jungle Fighting say units can Dig In, where the setup is only Jungle. Also as you noticed in european games, it will tell you in each scenario, units not in town or forest can dig in. I have always played this way, allowing units to dig-in in jungle hexes.

2. Cave combat.
A. Caves, think of them as two hexes, you are either in a cave or outside of it but only a Japanese unit may occupy the inside of a cave. The Japanese player must indicate if they are inside a cave or not by placing an entrenchment marker on them, they now receive a -3 column modifier in assaults. No unit may use Direct Fire in or out of a cave, so if the Japanese unit is in the cave part of the hex, only assault combat can be made. If one side loses the assault they must exit the cave hex just like an assault hex with a free shot. In this case, I have always treated it, as the American must exit the Cave hex, inside & outside and the same for the Japanese, as even those it's like two hexes, it's still two levels in the same hex and the area is too hot. Funny, as you can still have both units in the same hex and not in assaulting, one inside and one outside and still not fire on each other unless assaulting.

Remember to bring an Engineer unit with you to attack caves, or just avoid them and make the Japanese player come out and play. I think if they ever get to newer games in PG Pacific world, we will have more flame units to take care of the caves.

3. Ship damage.
A. Here are the answers I received from AP on these same questions years ago.

* LVT has a 0 Armor Factor on the counter, so no problem with this one, it can be sunk.

* LCVP has a -1 Armor Factor like a truck, it can be sunk.

* CL's & DD's & APD's have no armor factor as they can't be sunk by land units so far in the game. Latter if need be, this will be addressed, if larger shore-naval guns or aircraft are included in future games. AP did address the AK unit, but I would assume it fall into this category as well.
07-15-2012, 11:06 AM,
RE: Guadalcanal Q&A
CL's & DD's & APD's have no armor factor as they can't be sunk by land units so far in the game. Latter if need be, this will be addressed, if larger shore-naval guns or aircraft are included in future games. AP did address the AK unit, but I would assume it fall into this category as well.

A further clarification, ships cannot suffer any damage from DF, BF, AF or ATF. All ships including landing craft have inherent leaders. They are treated like armor leaders but can only activate ships in their hex.
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM,
I believe I made one mistake about dig-in on jungle hexes, as units can only dig-in on light-jungle hexes not normal/heavy jungle hexes.
11-28-2012, 09:46 AM,
(08-13-2012, 10:58 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I believe I made one mistake about dig-in on jungle hexes, as units can only dig-in on light-jungle hexes not normal/heavy jungle hexes.

On the Guadalcanal map, I only see Jungle no light-jungle. Is that mentioned in the rules?
warstudent aka Jim
11-28-2012, 09:59 AM,
I am at work presently so I can't look at the Guadalcanal maps but I know there is light jungle hexes on both the Kokoda Trail and Saipan maps and some supplement like Nihon Silk use maps where other terain is considered light jungle.
11-28-2012, 10:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Could not resist: this should be PG-HQ's theme song.

Welcome to the jungle we've got fun and games
We got everything you want, honey we know the names
We are the people that can find whatever you may need
If you got the money honey we got your disease
11-28-2012, 10:19 AM,
(11-28-2012, 09:46 AM)warstudent Wrote:
(08-13-2012, 10:58 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I believe I made one mistake about dig-in on jungle hexes, as units can only dig-in on light-jungle hexes not normal/heavy jungle hexes.

On the Guadalcanal map, I only see Jungle no light-jungle. Is that mentioned in the rules?

Yes, Guadalcanal only has Jungle, no light stuff.
11-28-2012, 08:43 PM,
All this seems a bit chaotic.
I would like a "Guadalcanal Remastered".
La guerra รจ bella, ma incomoda.
11-29-2012, 12:35 AM,
(11-28-2012, 08:43 PM)enrique Wrote: All this seems a bit chaotic.

One day, in a land far away, the whole rule set will be subject to a re-write that will include terrain features, definitions, standardised rules for the terrain from set to set and PG Land will be a safer place to venture Angel
11-29-2012, 11:09 AM,
(11-29-2012, 12:35 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(11-28-2012, 08:43 PM)enrique Wrote: All this seems a bit chaotic.

One day, in a land far away, the whole rule set will be subject to a re-write that will include terrain features, definitions, standardised rules for the terrain from set to set and PG Land will be a safer place to venture Angel

WAKE UP Vince, you are dreaming again. Wink