Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivers
01-23-2017, 03:23 AM,
Rivers
Did someone already notice that we don't need crossing numbers for Minor rivers (at least for foot and mechanized units) ?? Foot and mechanized units don't even need to stop in the minor river hex and they go on right away on the other bank !
See 4th Ed rules, 5.71, page 12.
01-23-2017, 04:41 AM,
RE: Rivers
(01-23-2017, 03:23 AM)leonard Wrote: Did someone already notice that we don't need crossing numbers for Minor rivers (at least for foot and mechanized units) ?? Foot and mechanized units don't even need to stop in the minor river hex and they go on right away on the other bank !

Wasnt this always the case except for motorized?
01-23-2017, 05:13 AM,
(01-23-2017, 03:23 AM)leonard Wrote: Did someone already notice that we don't need crossing numbers for Minor rivers (at least for foot and mechanized units) ?? Foot and mechanized units don't even need to stop in the minor river hex and they go on right away on the other bank !
I hate to break up this party but I recommend looking up exactly one sentence in the rules. The very last sentence of 5.7 River Crossings reads, "No matter the size of the river, any unit that crosses must stop moving once it leaves the river hex." The very next sentence in the rules is the first line of 5.71, Minor rivers.

I might also mention as a long time PG player (starting ~2001), that I have never heard of, seen, or used Crossing Numbers for Minor rivers. Crossing numbers only apply to units crossing Major rivers with the assistance of an ENG.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood anything here - a real and often embarrassing occurrence.

Peace. Michael Smile
01-23-2017, 05:23 AM,
(01-23-2017, 05:13 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote:
I hate to break up this party but I recommend looking up exactly one sentence in the rules. The very last sentence of 5.7 River Crossings reads, "No matter the size of the river, any unit that crosses must stop moving once it leaves the river hex." The very next sentence in the rules is the first line of 5.71, Minor rivers.

I might also mention as a long time PG player (starting ~2001), that I have never heard of, seen, or used Crossing Numbers for Minor rivers. Crossing numbers only apply to units crossing Major rivers with the assistance of an ENG.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood anything here - a real and often embarrassing occurrence.

Peace. Michael Smile

"Foot and mechanized units don't even need to stop in the minor river hex and they go on right away on the other bank"

"No matter the size of the river, any unit that crosses must stop moving once it leaves the river hex"

Im probably missing something, but I dont see these statements conflicting. The rules text is just adding the clarification that once the unit crosses the river onto the other bank (exiting the hex) it must stop.
01-23-2017, 08:16 AM,
(01-23-2017, 05:13 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote:

Peace. Michael Smile
Oops ! You're right ! It must be me... During all these years, I've read the River crossings rule (3rd Ed ) wrongly. And I dont even know why...
Thanks !
01-24-2017, 01:15 AM,
Maybe you wanted the enemy to be even more slowed down when they invaded French speaking countries?

I know I would.
01-24-2017, 01:47 AM,
(01-24-2017, 01:15 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Maybe you wanted the enemy to be even more slowed down when they invaded French speaking countries?

I know I would.

Un acte manqué !