Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone answer a few questions for me?
01-02-2017, 07:13 PM,
Can someone answer a few questions for me?
   Normally I would ask these questions to customer service themselves, but... you know.... Since I've come back from my hiatus on PG stuff, I've got a lot to catch up on. I was able to get a big chunk of what is missing from my collection from this time period through Amazon/Ebay, but I'm having a hard time decifering how the avalanche store is operating now.

I know the website as a whole is a patchwork of various versions of itself, so it isnt very helpful at determining what IS available and what WILL BE available. Am I correct in my understanding that what is actually listed on the storefront itself is all that is actually in stock? What about the other items that are seemingly not retired, but also not stocked? ie Panzer Lehr, Conquest of Ethiopia, etc., both of which are listed in the "now available" section, but arent now available in the store. Are these things that will someday be available again or are they just dead at this point? Also, all the supplements that arent even listed on the site anymore? I assume these are in fact dead, and I should get them elsewhere  (mostly talking the old comb bound booklets and whatnot)?

Is it also safe to assume that there is no way to purchase the last half decadeish of gold club doo dads and expansions or are these items that are in the dead category and I sadly missed out on? Similar question for Sword of Israel I suppose...

It is my understanding that pre orders as a business model are gone now, except for short term pre orders for gold club, is this correct?

Thanks to anyone that wants to take a stab at these.

01-03-2017, 01:01 AM,
RE: Can someone answer a few questions for me?
(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: Am I correct in my understanding that what is actually listed on the storefront itself is all that is actually in stock?
Not necessarily. What is on the store front is what is being sold, it includes pre-production orders.

(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: What about the other items that are seemingly not retired, but also not stocked? ie Panzer Lehr, Conquest of Ethiopia, etc., both of which are listed in the "now available" section, but arent now available in the store. Are these things that will someday be available again or are they just dead at this point? Also, all the supplements that arent even listed on the site anymore? I assume these are in fact dead, and I should get them elsewhere  (mostly talking the old comb bound booklets and whatnot)?
If "Now Available", they should be in stock. Older stuff, not on that list, will need to come from somewhere else. Noble Knight Games to be a good source, as well as eBay. Amazon not so much. The Geek Market at Board Game Geek is another possibility.

(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: Is it also safe to assume that there is no way to purchase the last half decadeish of gold club doo dads and expansions or are these items that are in the dead category and I sadly missed out on? Similar question for Sword of Israel I suppose...
Yeah, pretty much. Sward of Israel might be avalibl by 3rd party.

(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: It is my understanding that pre orders as a business model are gone now, except for short term pre orders for gold club, is this correct?
It exists, but has been scaled back. You need to watch for the links in the announcements, but they won't appear directly in the store.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-03-2017, 03:23 AM,
(01-03-2017, 01:01 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: Am I correct in my understanding that what is actually listed on the storefront itself is all that is actually in stock?
Not necessarily. What is on the store front is what is being sold, it includes pre-production orders.

(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: What about the other items that are seemingly not retired, but also not stocked? ie Panzer Lehr, Conquest of Ethiopia, etc., both of which are listed in the "now available" section, but arent now available in the store. Are these things that will someday be available again or are they just dead at this point? Also, all the supplements that arent even listed on the site anymore? I assume these are in fact dead, and I should get them elsewhere  (mostly talking the old comb bound booklets and whatnot)?
If "Now Available", they should be in stock. Older stuff, not on that list, will need to come from somewhere else. Noble Knight Games to be a good source, as well as eBay. Amazon not so much. The Geek Market at Board Game Geek is another possibility.

(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: Is it also safe to assume that there is no way to purchase the last half decadeish of gold club doo dads and expansions or are these items that are in the dead category and I sadly missed out on? Similar question for Sword of Israel I suppose...
Yeah, pretty much. Sward of Israel might be avalibl by 3rd party.

(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: It is my understanding that pre orders as a business model are gone now, except for short term pre orders for gold club, is this correct?
It exists, but has been scaled back. You need to watch for the links in the announcements, but they won't appear directly in the store.

Thanks for the reply. Seems Ill just have to keep an eye on the secondary market and snatch things up when they come along.

It seems my confusion on a lot of this is items such as Panzer Lehr, Fall of France, Conquest of Ethiopia, and Patton's nightmare are listed as "Now Available" on the individual game screens, and in the "Now Available" page, but arent in the storefront.
01-03-2017, 04:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 04:06 AM by rerathbun.)
(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote:  Am I correct in my understanding that what is actually listed on the storefront itself is all that is actually in stock? 
You are correct.  If a game is open for order by the general public (linked from the Avalanche Press website) on the store website, it's in stock, or in the final stages of production (the final week or two -- the counters, box sleeves, maps, rules and play aids are in the warehouse, and the scenario books are either in final proofing or at the printer).  Due to the small staff size and the time it takes to pack and ship all the pre-orders, it may take a week or so to ship an order placed at the moment availability is declared. 

Quote:plloyd1010 Wrote: What is on the store front is what is being sold, it includes pre-production orders.

Gold Club members are the only ones who can pre-order games that are not yet in production.  They receive links to the webstore (through the Gold Club Insider emails) that are not available to the public.  There are warnings in the emails that the games are not in stock yet.  The upside is a good discount (30%), the downside is the long wait time for the games to be produced.

Current in-stock orders get a quick turnaround, within two days. By "current in-stock" orders, I mean the order has only games that are available from the webstore (linked from the AvPress website, NOT the Gold Club emails) and were not NEW games declared available within the week or so.

Quote:What about the other items that are seemingly not retired, but also not stocked? ie Panzer Lehr, Conquest of Ethiopia, etc., both of which are listed in the "now available" section, but arent now available in the store. Are these things that will someday be available again or are they just dead at this point?

If a game's page on the Avalanche Press website says that it's "Available Now," but the website won't let you purchase it, it's currently out of stock but will return. For example, right now, Panzer Lehr is out of stock; If you click on the "Click here to order this great product!" at the bottom of the page, you get the "Contact us" message instead of the "add to cart" link.  If you sign up for the free News from the Front Newsletter, there is usually an announcement when games come back in stock. When a game comes back in stock, it doesn't have the backlog of preorders, so it ships right away.

Bottom line, if you want your games fast, order only from the webstore, using links from the Avalanche Press website.  If you want your games cheap and don't mind the wait, join the Gold Club and use the links from your Insider emails.
01-03-2017, 04:52 AM,
(01-03-2017, 04:04 AM)rerathbun Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 07:13 PM)triangular_cube Wrote:  Am I correct in my understanding that what is actually listed on the storefront itself is all that is actually in stock? 
You are correct.  If a game is open for order by the general public (linked from the Avalanche Press website) on the store website, it's in stock, or in the final stages of production (the final week or two -- the counters, box sleeves, maps, rules and play aids are in the warehouse, and the scenario books are either in final proofing or at the printer).  Due to the small staff size and the time it takes to pack and ship all the pre-orders, it may take a week or so to ship an order placed at the moment availability is declared. 

Quote:plloyd1010 Wrote: What is on the store front is what is being sold, it includes pre-production orders.

Gold Club members are the only ones who can pre-order games that are not yet in production.  They receive links to the webstore (through the Gold Club Insider emails) that are not available to the public.  There are warnings in the emails that the games are not in stock yet.  The upside is a good discount (30%), the downside is the long wait time for the games to be produced.

Current in-stock orders get a quick turnaround, within two days. By "current in-stock" orders, I mean the order has only games that are available from the webstore (linked from the AvPress website, NOT the Gold Club emails) and were not NEW games declared available within the week or so.

Quote:What about the other items that are seemingly not retired, but also not stocked? ie Panzer Lehr, Conquest of Ethiopia, etc., both of which are listed in the "now available" section, but arent now available in the store. Are these things that will someday be available again or are they just dead at this point?

If a game's page on the Avalanche Press website says that it's "Available Now," but the website won't let you purchase it, it's currently out of stock but will return. For example, right now, Panzer Lehr is out of stock; If you click on the "Click here to order this great product!" at the bottom of the page, you get the "Contact us" message instead of the "add to cart" link.  If you sign up for the free News from the Front Newsletter, there is usually an announcement when games come back in stock. When a game comes back in stock, it doesn't have the backlog of preorders, so it ships right away.

Bottom line, if you want your games fast, order only from the webstore, using links from the Avalanche Press website.  If you want your games cheap and don't mind the wait, join the Gold Club and use the links from your Insider emails.

Thank you for the clarifications.
01-03-2017, 07:48 AM,
Quote:If you sign up for the free News from the Front Newsletter, there is usually an announcement when games come back in stock. When a game comes back in stock, it doesn't have the backlog of preorders, so it ships right away.

FYI this form is returning an Icontact Error
01-03-2017, 11:25 AM,
Conquest, Fall of France, Sword of Israel will be reprinted this tear. The scenario books that depended on boxed games that have been retired permanently will most likely never return. Others will be rewritten for use with new in print games, as Go For Broke was. You can get quite a few of the supplements free as a download with a Gold Club membership.
01-03-2017, 11:48 AM,
Pusan Perimeter is also scheduled for reprinting.  
01-03-2017, 11:54 AM,
(01-03-2017, 11:25 AM)larry marak Wrote: Conquest,  Fall of France, Sword of Israel will be reprinted this tear.  The scenario books that depended on boxed games that have been retired permanently will most likely never return.  Others will be rewritten for use with new in print games, as Go For Broke was.  You can get quite a few of the supplements free as a download with a Gold Club membership.

Looking forward to Conquest and Sword, thank you for the info. I subscribed to Gold Club today, once I get the info from AP about how to use it I should have access to those.
01-03-2017, 12:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM by larry marak.)
8 downloadable PG books, 13 gold club journals currently waiting for you. Plus some excellent SWWAS stuff. And if you are into making counters, you can get a Finnish Armored division, alternate SS counters, and some Italian units can civilians for an expanded Beda Fomm.