Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analog, Digital, or both. Why?
06-04-2012, 02:02 AM,
Analog, Digital, or both. Why?
This sounds like an interesting question so I'll start off.

Analog only, no digital for me. There's something about physically manipulating my counters or flipping through the rules that computers simply cannot duplicate. I need that kind of interaction to "get into" the game. I started gaming back when cardboard was the only gaming platform around.

What anout you?
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM,
RE: Analog, Digital, or both. Why?
I started all-digital, then went all-analog for a spell, and have now come to the happy compromise that for me certain scales/game styles work better in one realm or the other.

Example 1: I love 4X space games, but they are far too simple to be enjoyable on a tabletop. Those must be digital where the PC can handle all the bookkeeping for you and manage suitable epic and sweeping galaxies.

Example 2: Third Reich is a game that COULD be played on PC very easily, but I prefer to push cardboard. The bookkeeping is not overbearing and having that big global map spread out in front of you provides much more visceral impact than scrolling an LCD screen.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-09-2012, 04:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012, 06:14 AM by Hugmenot.)
Primarily analog because I'd rather enjoy a board game in the lovely quiet than a digital game in the chaos that is our computer room.

I do own a couple of the John Tiller software titles and I play a scenario every few weeks. I also own Fields of Glory which I play much more often as my 8 year old loves to play against (and beat) dad. FoG includes an handicap settings which allows me to play all out, albeit at a distinct disadvantage.
06-09-2012, 05:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM by awdougherty.)
(06-04-2012, 02:02 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: This sounds like an interesting question so I'll start off.

Analog only, no digital for me. There's something about physically manipulating my counters or flipping through the rules that computers simply cannot duplicate. I need that kind of interaction to "get into" the game. I started gaming back when cardboard was the only gaming platform around.

What anout you?

Analog only at the moment for similar reasons as quoted above. Having the physical game in front of me really helps me get into the wargaming mood, and for some reason I have trouble "seeing" - for lack of a better word - what's going on in a game when I view it on a screen.

edit: I play non-wargame video games, but my war games have to be analog for the time being.
06-09-2012, 11:34 AM,
being 23 i grew up in the playstation, gameboy and n64 era but while simultaneously playing analog.
Analog has a better sense of control and its easier when everything is laid out in front, and its true that feeling of pushing the cardboard yourself can not be matched. I still enjoy a bit of playstation3 when i have the chance but generally just sport, driving and shooter games. my issue with ww2 games on computer on console is the incredibly stupid or incrediblywaytoosmartrommelpattonmontgomeryandpanzermeyercombined AI. not to mention the droves of historical inaccuracies that video game designers ignore, very gear grinding indeed.

Best thing is though that my wife tolerates both of my hobbies :-)