Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wire?
09-20-2016, 08:25 AM,
Wire?
Being only a one-year veteran of PG, I don't use a number of the optional rules other than FoW except when required by the scenario special rules. I've had the mire rules come up before as random events and played them for vehicles, but the current scenario calls for wire. The only listing I could find on a scan of the rules for "wire"was:"Terrain Affected by Mire: Barbed Wire, ......" Does this mean that wire is played under the same procedure as mire? Somehow, that doesn't make sense, since the mire rules appear to refer to vehicles or naval units, and not foot units. It would also seem that foot units should have a greater problem traversing wire than closed top AFV's, but yet foot units are not included in the mire rule? Is there some procedure for playing wire that I am missing? Thanks to anyone that can clarify this issue.
09-20-2016, 09:08 AM,
RE: Wire?
Wire causes units to expend an extra movement point to enter the hex. INF/ENG types may remove a wire marker by spending one turn doing so. Tracked vehicles can remove a wire marker by spend 3 movement points crushing it.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-20-2016, 09:37 AM,
Wire is not part of the base rules (3rd or 4th edition), so there should be a special rule for it in the front of the scenario book.  If there's not, let us know the game and we can put it into the errata.
09-20-2016, 11:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM by Schoenwulf.)
The scenario in question is #11 in La Campagne de Tunisie, but wire is not mentioned in the special rules in that monograph or the one for An Army at Dawn. Maps for the scenario are from Conquest of Ethiopia, but no mention of it in those special rules either.
09-20-2016, 01:57 PM,
The last place the wire rules appeared was in Desert Rats. The last appearance before Tunisia was in Invasion of Germany. After I added the wire to the rewrite that I use, I didn't think about it.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-20-2016, 02:29 PM,
Quote:The last appearance before Tunisia was in Invasion of Germany. After I added the wire to the rewrite that I use, I didn't think about it.

I appreciate the info that you provided, as I wasn't quite sure where to find it. That makes much more sense than treating it the same as mire! Thanks Rolleyes
09-20-2016, 09:54 PM,
(09-20-2016, 02:29 PM)Schoenwulf Wrote:
Quote:Wire

Hi Schoenwulf ! The useful info about Wire is all included in the Terrain Effect Charts and notes (green chart). 
The Mire rules just state that "Wire" is the kind of terrain affected by Mire.
09-20-2016, 11:21 PM,
Does armor crush, i.e. remove, wire for 3 MP in all cases, or is that only if mentioned in special rules for the specific game or scenario? Although that is not mentioned on the terrain chart, it makes sense for fully-tracked vehicles at the least.
09-21-2016, 12:28 AM,
Armor crushes wire for 3 MP in all cases.

We should have included the Wire rules in the supplement but I never verified whether the specific rules were in the rulebook after reading the Terrain Effect Chart.
09-21-2016, 01:50 AM,
Quote:Armor crushes wire for 3 MP in all cases.
Thanks, as that gives me the complete procedure to move ahead on the scenario.