Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] K:SF Light woods/SS HMG (3 Ed.)
09-15-2016, 09:02 PM,
K:SF Light woods/SS HMG (3 Ed.)
Finally got around to trying out the system, going with S1: Berezov Bound.

Problem is I can't tell from the map if woods are supposed to be normal, light or heavy, they just look like, well, woods. Are light/heavy woods only in SSR? For tha matter I've skimmed the scenario book and can't see trails being mentioned in any scenarios either?

Also the PGHQ errata states "The reduced direct fire value of the SS HMG is 5-5 in Beyond Normandy and Road to Berlin." What does that mean for other games, do they adopt it too, or is it pointing out 5-5 is only the case for those two games? Usually I see errata like "Starting with game X..." so it's clear it's intended going forward.

Thanks.
09-15-2016, 11:24 PM,
RE: K:SF Light woods/SS HMG (3 Ed.)
Howdy. I took a look at the Kursk: South Flank maps and I don't see any Light Woods on them. Pretty sure all those are just "Woods".

I THINK the HMG info is meant to be retroactive. I'd think SF is new enough to be updated... what are the reduced SS HMG values in it?

rv
09-16-2016, 12:03 AM,
5-5, it's just not clear from the errata if they're supposed to be 5-5 because they're post-BN/RTB, or they shouldn't be 5-5 because they're not one of those two games.
09-16-2016, 12:25 AM,
(09-15-2016, 09:02 PM)deathninja Wrote: Problem is I can't tell from the map if woods are supposed to be normal, light or heavy, they just look like, well, woods.

For good examples of the difference between light woods and woods as portrayed by the new illustrator review the Elsenborn Ridge maps here at PG-HQ.  It's certainly easy to tell them apart in ER.  As I recall, I will confirm what Rich says about KSF.  I think all the woods on the KSF maps are woods.  There are no light woods.

Someone else will need to provide an example of heavy woods.  I don't remember where I've seen heavy woods.
09-16-2016, 12:39 AM,
Heavy woods are by scenario special rules only.
09-16-2016, 12:51 AM,
(09-16-2016, 12:03 AM)deathninja Wrote: 5-5, it's just not clear from the errata if they're supposed to be 5-5 because they're post-BN/RTB, or they shouldn't be 5-5 because they're not one of those two games.

They are 5-5. I think a change was made to them at the time of BN/RTB. Earlier units were 4-5 I think. 
09-16-2016, 01:07 AM,
(09-15-2016, 09:02 PM)deathninja Wrote: Also the PGHQ errata states "The reduced direct fire value of the SS HMG is 5-5 in Beyond Normandy and Road to Berlin." What does that mean for other games, do they adopt it too, or is it pointing out 5-5 is only the case for those two games? Usually I see errata like "Starting with game X..." so it's clear it's intended going forward.

This is a change that happened when John Stafford took over. He didn't notice, or at the very least, changed the systemic convention. Before him the convention was infantry reduced values were rounded up (an additional -1 for GREN), and heavy weapons units reduced values were rounded down. Now both round up. Since I am all about unit uniqueness and interaction, I didn't like it and often remake my heavy weapon counters.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-16-2016, 07:45 AM,
All the woods in South Flank are regular woods unless modified under other in the scenario instructions. Thanks, Mike