Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Beginner clarifications.
07-08-2012, 05:24 PM,
Beginner clarifications.
These are mostly clarifications as I play through my second scenario with PG:EFDlx. I think I know a lot of the answers, but I'm sometimes on the wrong side of wording.

1. When a unit is disrupted, all combat values are halved. This is both Damage and Range, correct?

2. A scenario says that a victory condition is that the opposing side must not have any units on a road. Does this include trucks? Scenario has around 11 trucks, could I lay them all down the road single file, so even if I lose everything else, the other player has to destroy every single one of those before the turns run out? - I know this would be a total jerk move, and would not do this in an actual game against anyone.

3. Do trucks count as units in scenarios that have a victory condition of "11 units must make it off the East side of the board."

4. Tanks are considered AT on the column modifiers?

6. Motorcycles are counted as infantry? Even for stacking, so I could have 3 motorcycles + 3 tanks in a single stack, then I can also combine all their direct fire?

7. When an infantry stack takes an "X" step loss, ALL units, including the one that took the step loss have to take an M2 morale check?

8. Non-Tank leaders cannot modify AFV values.
07-08-2012, 07:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Beginner clarifications.
(07-08-2012, 05:24 PM)Pippers Wrote: These are mostly clarifications as I play through my second scenario with PG:EFDlx. I think I know a lot of the answers, but I'm sometimes on the wrong side of wording.

1. When a unit is disrupted, all combat values are halved. This is both Damage and Range, correct?

2. A scenario says that a victory condition is that the opposing side must not have any units on a road. Does this include trucks? Scenario has around 11 trucks, could I lay them all down the road single file, so even if I lose everything else, the other player has to destroy every single one of those before the turns run out? - I know this would be a total jerk move, and would not do this in an actual game against anyone.

3. Do trucks count as units in scenarios that have a victory condition of "11 units must make it off the East side of the board."

6. Motorcycles are counted as infantry? Even for stacking, so I could have 3 motorcycles + 3 tanks in a single stack, then I can also combine all their direct fire?

7. When an infantry stack takes an "X" step loss, ALL units, including the one that took the step loss have to take an M2 morale check?

8. Non-Tank leaders cannot modify AFV values.

Pippers,

1. No, just its fire value not range. See 1.1 Rules summary para 4 'Fire Values' The number before the dash is its 'Fire Stength'. The number after the dash is its range (note NOT range strength). Now see 14.2 DISRUPTION "A disrupted unit has all its combat strengths halved". It is just the fire strength that suffers.

2. As a 'Harmless Enemy' in 5.31, in our group of players, we certainly don't play that trucks control road. In fact, they don't control any hex because if a unit moves in a hex with just trucks, it eliminates it immediately without any toil. As such a hex can be 'freely entered', I'd say the reasoning is they exert no influence.

3. Scenario VC's tend to say when trucks are included or not. Do you have the scenario number to hand where this occurs. Again, I would say the 95% of the time, 'units' refer to combat units. Trucks are not combat units, but I'd like to know which scenario you refer.

4. "Tanks are considered AT on the column modifiers ?" - Not sure what you mean here Pippers ?

5. NOTE * You have the stacking completely wrong Pippers. You can only have 3 x Combat units (a mix of infantry and tanks for example) plus 3 x transports (hanomags, brens and M3's are useful here Smile. But motorcycles are infantry in most game terms except their movement is wheeled.(Motorised). You can not have 3 AFV's plus 3 Infantry in the same hex.

6. Yes, completely right. An X result gives the unit taking the hit and the other NON_Armour units an M2 result. AFV's would merely take an M MC EXCEPT in ASSAULT.

7. Correct, non-tank leaders can not modify tank values. BUT if an AFV was part of a firegroup using its DF value and there was a foot leader with a modifier. The foot leader could still add his fire value modifier,
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM,
Great job, Vince.

One note that you forgot...

(07-08-2012, 07:12 PM)vince hughes Wrote: 5. NOTE * You have the stacking completely wrong Pippers. You can only have 3 x Combat units (a mix of infantry and tanks for example) plus 3 x transports (hanomags, brens and M3's are useful here Smile. But motorcycles are infantry in most game terms except their movement is wheeled.(Motorised). You can not have 3 AFV's plus 3 Infantry in the same hex.

Certain games allow "tank riders" - foot platoon which can use AFVs just as they would transports. Then you could have 3 x tank + 3 x INF in a hex, but in the event of combat the 3 x INF would not be able to fire (they're busy holding on for dear life) and would have to unload before participating in the firefight... at which point the 3 combat unit stacking rules would immediately apply.

The front of your game's scenario book will tell you if tank riders are allowed and for whom in the Special Rules section.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM,

I will take a crack at this one.

Pippers, if you are considering the column shift on the DF/BF tables, then no AFV's do not get this, it is only for AT guns.

With regard to stacking and tank riders two points, first always double check the tank rider rules. In Kursk tank riders are limited to just SMG's. This is different from other games. Second, although the tank riders are being transported and do not count toward stacking, if they do need to jump off they will count toward the three combat unit limit.
07-09-2012, 02:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012, 02:33 AM by Pippers.)
Sorry for the item numbering, I had a text file open as I played and wrote down what came to mind and a few got answered elsewhere before I posted.

Vince, thank you! It appears I don't know a lot of the answers!

campsawyer you got my question correct, I was wondering since Tanks have AT values, if they would be considered AT on those tables. You cleared that up, thanks.

As for what scenario has "X number of units must exit off map", I was wondering about EF scenario 50. The Soviet wins if they get at least 10 units (not steps) to exit off the west edge. While this map doesn't have trucks, it does have wagons. Would those count? I haven't looked over too many scenarios yet, only the two I've played so far.
07-09-2012, 02:43 AM,
I didn't develop EF so I don't know the intent of the designer and developer, but in all the scenarios I developed I didn't count unarmed transports as units for victory purposes. So in this case, I'd say don't count wagons that exit the map for victory purposes.
07-09-2012, 03:07 AM,
The old FAQ answer was that if trucks, wagons, sledges, or prime movers were specifically excluded then they did not count. Otherwise they did count for casualties or VP. I'm not sure where we stand on that now, but my plays have generally followed this interpretation.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
07-09-2012, 03:07 AM,
The Ultimate Stacked Hex

3 x AFV each carrying a platoon and leader each and sharing the hex with 3 x APC's also carrying a platoon each and a leader.

Final tally

3 x AFV's
3 x APC's
6 x platoons of foot
6 x leaders

No sausage fingers need apply !
07-09-2012, 03:09 AM,
(07-09-2012, 03:07 AM)vince hughes Wrote: The Ultimate Stacked Hex

3 x AFV each carrying a platoon and leader each and sharing the hex with 3 x APC's also carrying a platoon each and a leader.

Final tally

3 x AFV's
3 x APC's
6 x platoons of foot
6 x leaders

No sausage fingers need apply !

That's an awful lot of blood to mop up when they get whacked! Think carefully about doing this, very carefully indeed.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
07-09-2012, 03:15 AM,
(07-09-2012, 02:31 AM)Pippers Wrote: As for what scenario has "X number of units must exit off map", I was wondering about EF scenario 50. The Soviet wins if they get at least 10 units (not steps) to exit off the west edge. While this map doesn't have trucks, it does have wagons. Would those count? I haven't looked over too many scenarios yet, only the two I've played so far.

I see your problem with this one. In that particular scenario, a wagon counts as half a step for initiative loss. However, I think, and this is just personal preference as there is nothing else there to back it up, that I would just go for combat units in that scenario for the actual VC's.