Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Morale Check - Trucks/Loaded Units
07-08-2012, 11:30 AM,
Morale Check - Trucks/Loaded Units
How are the morale checks dealt with if an OBA lands a successful M2 hit on a hex that contains a Truck (loaded with an INF unit)?

11.11 states that a truck has a -1 armor value (which would exclude it from the morale check), but the rules seems to indicate that is only used for AT fire dieroll modifiers. That being said:

Do vehicles perform morale checks?
Does the unit in the truck also need to perform the morale check?
If so, and the roll is unsuccessful, does the unit become disrupted/demoralized inside the truck? Fleeing could be interesting with this situation.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get my mind around this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
07-08-2012, 12:33 PM,
RE: Morale Check - Trucks/Loaded Units
(07-08-2012, 11:30 AM)j3rm Wrote: How are the morale checks dealt with if an OBA lands a successful M2 hit on a hex that contains a Truck (loaded with an INF unit)?

11.11 states that a truck has a -1 armor value (which would exclude it from the morale check), but the rules seems to indicate that is only used for AT fire dieroll modifiers. That being said:

Do vehicles perform morale checks?
Does the unit in the truck also need to perform the morale check?
If so, and the roll is unsuccessful, does the unit become disrupted/demoralized inside the truck? Fleeing could be interesting with this situation.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get my mind around this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy. The rule you're looking for is 5.6: Transport. It states "Once loaded, the transport unit and everything it carries are counted as one unit for stacking, movement, and combat purposes."

Therefore, the vehicle does perform a morale check but the unit it's carrying does not. If the vehicle becomes disrupted or demoralized, the unit is forced to unload per rule 5.66.
07-08-2012, 12:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 12:44 PM by campsawyer.)
Ah, I see his point. If trucks have an armor factor, should they be immune to morale checks as armored units don't have to per 7.25. I would clarify the rule by saying that anything with a armor of 0 or greater is immune to morale checks.

So to answer your questions, Yes a truck needs to take a morale check, with any leader modifier. If it fails it all the contents fail too and per Doug's reply need to bail out. The contents do not have to take the morale check. Does it flee? Yes if it fails to recover from a demoralized state.
07-08-2012, 12:42 PM,
(07-08-2012, 12:38 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Ah, I see his point. If trucks have an armor factor, should they be immune to morale checks as armored units don't have to per 7.25. I would clarify the rule by saying that anything with a morale of 0 or greater is immune to morale checks.

So to answer your questions, Yes a truck needs to take a morale check. If it fails it all the contents fail too and per Doug's reply need to bail out. Does it flee? Yes if it fails to recover from a demoralized state.

I think you mean anything with an armor value of 0 or greater is immune to morale checks. That'd be correct.
07-08-2012, 12:45 PM,
(07-08-2012, 12:42 PM)upintheattic Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 12:38 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Ah, I see his point. If trucks have an armor factor, should they be immune to morale checks as armored units don't have to per 7.25. I would clarify the rule by saying that anything with a morale of 0 or greater is immune to morale checks.

So to answer your questions, Yes a truck needs to take a morale check. If it fails it all the contents fail too and per Doug's reply need to bail out. Does it flee? Yes if it fails to recover from a demoralized state.

I think you mean anything with an armor value of 0 or greater is immune to morale checks. That'd be correct.

That tooTongue

Updated to reflect armor.
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM,
Very good.
Thanks for the information, gentlemen... I appreciate it.
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM by vince hughes.)
(07-08-2012, 03:29 PM)j3rm Wrote: Very good.
Thanks for the information, gentlemen... I appreciate it.

Also, not sure it was mentioned above, but if the Truck gets a DIS or DEM result forcing its contents to spill out. The contents will be in the same morale state as the truck. (ie: DIS or DEM)
07-08-2012, 11:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 11:52 PM by Shad.)
(07-08-2012, 07:19 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Also, not sure it was mentioned above, but if the Truck gets a DIS or DEM result forcing its contents to spill out. The contents will be in the same morale state as the truck. (ie: DIS or DEM)

Good to know... thanks Vince.

In retrospect, having 3 loaded transports in the same hex was not such a good idea. The OBA hit really did a number on them. Confused

I found the section in the rule book that covers what Vince mentioned, if anyone is interested: [5.6] Transports \ 5.65 Taking Damage
07-09-2012, 02:56 AM,
Having three loaded transports unload in a hex isn't that bad of an outcome; unless of course, somebody else already occupies that hex. Then you've got a problem.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
07-09-2012, 04:58 AM,
(07-09-2012, 02:56 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Having three loaded transports unload in a hex isn't that bad of an outcome; unless of course, somebody else already occupies that hex. Then you've got a problem.

That's true, but when all three trucks had a critical failure of their M2 check... I now have 6 demoralized units to deal with.