Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beach Landings
05-17-2016, 07:58 AM,
Beach Landings
Hello all,

I've set up Marianas scenario 11 (1941 Guam invasion), and I'm looking for rules on amphibious landings. Maybe I'm thinking into this too much as the specific rules governing landing craft seem to suggest that they are treated the same as trucks. Is it that simple? Am I to follow the same rules for unloading trucks, or is there something more sinister and devious that I am overlooking?
05-17-2016, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2016, 05:42 PM by JayTownsend.)
RE: Beach Landings
Same as truck Coniglius! The same rules for unloading and pretty everything else for that mater.

LVT 4 = APC
LVT A1 & LVT A4= AFV

LVT 4 & LVT A4 are open top.
LVT A1 is closed top.

LVT 4 = 1 step units.

LVT A1 & LVT A4= 2 step units.

LVT A1 & LVT A4 both have inherent leaders.

Ocean traveling LVT 4’s do not suffer leader decapitation while at sea, which would make no sense at all, as other landing-craft would still head for the landing beaches regardless if the Colonel in another craft was killed or not and most likely his death would be acknowledge for some time.

LVTA's should have been given an amphibious armor symbol.

LVT-4s are transportation units, like trucks.
05-17-2016, 09:55 PM,
Thank you Jay!! I was specifically referencing the Japanese Daihatsu's, but I appreciate the info for the US landing craft as well. In this scenario as you know, the Japanese land on the beaches of Guam in 1941. Those Daihatsu's that could make it to the beach on the first turn did just that; used all 3x MP's to reach the beach. On the second turn The troops unloaded at the cost of 1x MP to both the troops and the barge, just like a truck unloading. Those that remained at sea until the second turn were visited by the YP-17, unsuccessfully (and then the YP-17 received the full attention of the Japanese artillery and air support).

Here's a question for you; why is there no DF bonus for a landing craft coming ashore? Have you ever been in one? That is perhaps the worst time for them as they slog through the surf, then come to a complete halt as the ramp is dropped. They're pretty much sitting ducks at that point. I think there should be a +1 modifier for a stationary landing craft during DF. What are your thoughts?
05-18-2016, 12:51 AM,
My Uncle Bill would tell you from Anzio that every round fired at the landing craft during approached was aimed at the pilot. He was seated from the belly-buttom up above the armor of the landing craft. He earned his retirement from the Navy.
05-18-2016, 05:38 AM,
My Great-Uncle Jimmy landed at Normandy with the 9th Inf. Div. His transport was hit out in the approaches and he had to wade through the final 30 yards or so. Luckily he was very short (5' 6") so he didn't present a large target!!!

I've done several training landings with Marines as part of a Beach Master unit. The tough part comes when you're getting yourself properly aligned, and then gun it to run up on the beach before dropping the ramp. It's those 60-90 seconds of eternity that get the adrenaline pumping!!! Much more fun to come screaming in on an LCAC, although they tend to bounce on the chop rather than plow through the surf...
05-19-2016, 03:04 AM,
(05-17-2016, 09:55 PM)Coniglius Wrote: Thank you Jay!! I was specifically referencing the Japanese Daihatsu's, but I appreciate the info for the US landing craft as well. In this scenario as you know, the Japanese land on the beaches of Guam in 1941. Those Daihatsu's that could make it to the beach on the first turn did just that; used all 3x MP's to reach the beach. On the second turn The troops unloaded at the cost of 1x MP to both the troops and the barge, just like a truck unloading.  Those that remained at sea until the second turn were visited by the YP-17, unsuccessfully (and then the YP-17 received the full attention of the Japanese artillery and air support).

Here's a question for you; why is there no DF bonus for a landing craft coming ashore? Have you ever been in one? That is perhaps the worst time for them as they slog through the surf, then come to a complete halt as the ramp is dropped. They're pretty much sitting ducks at that point. I think there should be a +1 modifier for a stationary landing craft during DF. What are your thoughts?

A good point, I just wanted to keep it simple but if you want to use your modifiers in that scenario go ahead, I see nothing wrong with it. It would effect some of the other scenarios too much however.