Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Brown Liberation 44 maps
04-17-2016, 05:38 PM,
Question  Brown Liberation 44 maps
I've recently brought my first Panzer Grenadier game, Liberation 44, and am really enjoying the first scenario. However, I was slightly disappointed with the maps as they are a browney green, and dark and it's slightly difficult to see the terrain. I was looking through the BGG images I can see that the maps shown there are a vibrant green ... I'm sure I have the latest 2nd edition version, so my question is ... Do I have an incorrectly printed of the maps or have they made the maps more"gritty" in the second edition?! 

I've attached (hopefully!) a photo of the map I have and am hoping you can see the colour I mean! 

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Attached Files Image(s)

04-17-2016, 11:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2016, 11:39 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Brown Liberation 44 maps
The maps were awful in the first edition too Martin. Dark dark green and barely see-able under house-lights. In fact, so bad they were it was one of the final nails in my PG coffin. Can't believe they are still cocking up production on the most important components.

(or do you have an old set - You'll know by the ridiculously thick counters. If not, then I'll leave it to somebody more up to date)
04-18-2016, 08:10 AM,
Lib '44 & Saipan were the two PG games that I got rid of in my most recent purge. Poor maps and those absurdly thick counters in '44 kept them from making into the safe pile.
04-18-2016, 09:15 AM,
The Liberation and Saipan counters have now been replaced with the normal counters according to Mike.
04-19-2016, 02:20 AM,
(04-18-2016, 09:15 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: The Liberation and Saipan counters have now been replaced with the normal counters according to Mike.

That's great for folks who haven't purchased them yet, but kind of sucks for those of us who were early supporters. I have no interest in paying for corrected maps or counters.
04-19-2016, 03:09 AM,
I have more mixed views
Saipan maps: very good looking, a bit difficult to spot hexes but they work OK
Saipan counters: not bad at all even if laser cut
Liberation maps: not very good looking (OK a bit too dark) but not a real drama
Liberation counters: horrible, horrible, horrible.
04-19-2016, 03:59 AM,
And these "tile" counters were heralded as the hallmark of the "Phoenix" edition of PG. Super thick was used for Liberation, Western Desert, Horn of Africa, Russo-Japanese War, and Plan Red.
04-19-2016, 04:05 AM,
It was also used for FDR's Lost Battleships, the full size Torpedo Boat counters and the corrected Marine counters.
04-19-2016, 06:14 AM,
Wasn't Sword of Israel pretty darn thick as well?
No "minor" country left behind...
04-19-2016, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2016, 06:32 AM by vince hughes.)
(04-19-2016, 03:09 AM)otto Wrote: I have more mixed views
Saipan maps: very good looking, a bit difficult to spot hexes but they work OK
Saipan counters: not bad at all even if laser cut
Liberation maps: not very good looking (OK a bit too dark) but not a real drama
Liberation counters: horrible, horrible, horrible.

Otto,

Actually the Lib dark maps were a bit of a drama as Wayne and I played a whole scenario and did not notice until we cleared away that there were hedgerows lining some of the hexes we thought were clear. The whole firing exchanges in the scenario had been played out wrong and therefore the scenario played a waste of gaming time. And all because of poor quality maps.