Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate history Nirvana
04-10-2016, 11:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2016, 12:04 PM by larry marak.)
Alternate history Nirvana
Thanks everyone still paying into social security.  My $62 per month after medicare part B (March and April payments) enabled  me to order River Fleets and The Defense of France 1942.  Unless the Long War setting becomes as popular as the Second Great War setting, I'm betting Defense will be the only P.G. module for this setting.
     I like alternate history contests.  I'm probably the only P.G. enthusiast here who would spring for a Byzantine module and a Confederate module (ala those two variants for John Prado's Third Reich).  Land Cruisers has been fun.  These landgoing battleships are an intellectual puzzle both to deploy and to destroy.  These ww2 era Ogres™ changed the nature of land warfare in the forties. Maybe some day a GC insider will feature Land Cruiser recovery vehicles.  Land Cruisers in the 2nd Great War functioned like War Elephants during the wars of the Diadochi. Anyone taking them on died, but you could maneuver past them and go on to attack the next Echelon. Unfortunately for those French fascists, the land cruisers are the rearguard. Too slow to be used offensively, but devastating in a counterattack.
04-11-2016, 01:06 AM,
RE: Alternate history Nirvana
I don't mind a few Cold-War hypothetical supplements but I prefer historical core games.
04-11-2016, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016, 09:01 AM by larry marak.)
Having opined that the Defense of France 1942 is most likely a one shot affair I'll now play devil's advocate. Here are some possible alternate titles:
1. Lancers Forward! The Polish sector of operations during the invasion of the Soviet Union in 1940.
2. Siberian Samurai! The Strike North option which is part of the Long War chronology.
3. Turkish Front Now! The ill-fated 1944 British campaign in western Turkey to turn the axis minors.
4. Sea Lion 1946
or
5. Calais 1949.

The mind boggles. Since it is called The Long War, we could be talking, in a none nuclear environment, of a war running into or beyond 1950.

The Long War is intended to showcase potential fleet actions in the late 1940's. While concept studies exist for American and British ships that were intended for the late 40's but cancelled, possible builds for the axis navies are far less well grounded.
04-25-2016, 10:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM by larry marak.)
Like all of you I save every insider Mike sends out. I was re-reading #55 and learned that the Defence of France started out as a planned digital download, then was picked to be a Gold Club Journal item titled Revenge of France 1941. Just shows Mike is determined to bend every resource to the success of the product line. 2 scenarios for the journal morphed into 10 scenarios set in the long war story arc.