Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why cavalry IDs?
03-14-2019, 01:17 AM,
Why cavalry IDs?
Does anyone have any idea why APL thought that cavalry ID letters were necessary? They seem to serve no function other than forcing one to parse the counters. Artillery ID, I get. Cavalry ID, I don't.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-08-2019, 03:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 05:24 AM by Greyfox.)
RE: Why cavalry IDs?
I think it is so that you can pair it with a particular dismounted unit.
10-08-2019, 10:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2019, 11:00 PM by plloyd1010.)
(10-08-2019, 03:11 PM)Greyfox Wrote: I think it is so that you can pare it with a particular dismounted unit.

I figured that much. So far I haven't seen a rule, special or otherwise, which only allows some cavalry troops to mount or remount. So far it has been all or none. There is also no rule about the horses being run off, preventing remounting by a particular troop. So that leaves the question of, why distinguish between individual troops for dismounting and remounting? It appears rather superfluous to me.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-09-2019, 12:13 AM,
This reminds me of a query that I posted a while back regarding trucks. After units are unloaded, and assuming the vehicle is not destroyed, why can't it be requisitioned by the opposing side for their transport purposes? While equine transports may run off, vehicles don't usually do so. So, if they aren't destroyed, why not ride to save a little energy?
10-09-2019, 10:23 AM,
(10-09-2019, 12:13 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote: This reminds me of a query that I posted a while back regarding trucks. After units are unloaded, and assuming the vehicle is not destroyed, why can't it be requisitioned by the opposing side for their transport purposes? While equine transports may run off, vehicles don't usually do so. So, if they aren't destroyed, why not ride to save a little energy?

My guesses:

Game Design Answer: to simplify the ruleset and flow of play

"Real World" Answer: I don't want to be driving an enemy vehicle through an active battlefield lest my own comrades shoot me!
dxdavieau and Hugmenot like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-10-2019, 03:38 AM,
The real world answer wins!
10-10-2019, 01:17 PM,
Just put a flag or insignia on the door, like all those German T-34's. The situation that I had at the time was rapidly retreating enemies, and the trucks would have allowed some closure w/o really getting in a war zone per se'.