Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The HMG
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM,
The HMG
Here's one for discussion.

How do you use the HMG units in the attack? Do you set them up to fire at long range? or do you close the enemy to maximize the firepower by being adjacent? How do you move the infantry force with HMGs that move only at 2 while the grunt platoons move at 3? What is your HMG tactical doctrine?
07-07-2012, 11:58 AM,
RE: The HMG
In my limited PG experience, I've tried to have them in overwatch to take advantage of their longer ranged firepower, trying to disrupt those very targets that I am trying to close on.
07-07-2012, 01:12 PM,
I enjoy playing rather aggressively, which usually means HMGs ride up behind a screening force of more mobile foot units and then unload as close as possible for immediate, intense attacks.

There are pros and cons to this approach, particularly if the enemy has copious OBA.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM,
(07-07-2012, 11:51 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Here's one for discussion.

How do you use the HMG units in the attack? Do you set them up to fire at long range? or do you close the enemy to maximize the firepower by being adjacent? How do you move the infantry force with HMGs that move only at 2 while the grunt platoons move at 3? What is your HMG tactical doctrine?

I'm not telling potential future opponents Big Grin
07-08-2012, 12:26 AM,
One of the problems in using HMGs in overwatch, is once the infantry platoons close with the enemy positions, the HMG fire is blocked. Any solutions?
07-08-2012, 12:50 AM,
If you use the HMGs in overwatch you need to pursue a stepwise advance. The HMGs will have to eventually close in but only after the infantry gets in close. They make take Op fire in the advance from the defenders but it seems realistic. I have found that HMGs tend to be priority targets for OBA, etc. and the idea of performing overwatch is sometimes more theoretical than I would like.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-08-2012, 02:28 AM,
Although I tend to follow Vince's line in regards to tactical secrets here is a freebie (as the actress said to the bishop) If you have leaders with +1 or +2 fire modifiers use the HMG's in mass at two hex range.
07-08-2012, 04:31 AM,
(07-07-2012, 04:35 PM)vince hughes Wrote:

I'm not telling potential future opponents Big Grin

Me either ... oh wait! I am my future opponent.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
07-08-2012, 08:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM by vince hughes.)

How do you use the HMG units in the attack?

OFFENSIVE USE OF MG's AGAINST DEFENSIVE POSITIONS

Fred,

These tactics listed here are good for all Nations bar Soviet and French. Even then, a Soviet with a heavily factored direct fire AFV can join in too. They are also more aimed at the 18+ game turn scenario as the lesser turned scenarios usually rush you to get on with things and do not allow such preparation.

Of course, whilst reading this, there is the caveat that the tactics can not always be employed due to many things such as terrain, numbers, make up of force and even time in hand. However, where possible, I try to use the tactics shown here wherever I can.

I noticed you mentioned that troops get in the way of the MG's shots, but you will see here how you can actually get THREE bursts in before 'taking down the tripods/bipods and following up'.

The first thing I like to remind myself when attacking a position in PG is that the maximum deduction, when all mods have been calculated in a DF attack is -2 columns. So, when attacking a town or an entrenchment (both -2 v DF), range and height are NOT factors to worry about because you are already going to get the -2 deduction and it can not get any worse.

When using the MG's in attack, I try to group them together along with a leader that has a fire mod, preferably a '2' if one available (for US, British and Empire, German & Polish this is always a good probability) and possibly another leader (or the same one) that has a 1 or 2 morale bonus. Also, a 'spare' AFV with DF of 9+ will be useful.

Then, having decided the position to be attacked and supporting them with a DF skilled leader and morale bonus leader, I send the HMG force and accompanying AFV(s) to a position 5 hexes from the target. This group go up first in the line and they will be out of range of most enemies. Preferably they will advance in limiting terrain or get to their position via a safe route. Group them in a position where they can all see the target and if a '2' rated DF leader present, put him in the middle WITH an HMG and AFV. This is because he will not be able to 'Firegroup' the AFV if it is in another hex.

4 x HMG's, a fire-mod leader and an AFV will give you a 45 column shot. With 2 columns taken off it still comes in at a powerful 22 col. The 16 col can also be useful if only 30+ can be totalled by the firegroup. If the target is not even a -2 column shot, then we are in even bigger gain territory Shy

1.This fire-group opens up on the target as your other attacking forces move up and group ready to attack behind the firegroup. The target suffers a hit and as an absolute minimum WILL check morale on the 22 col, maybe even sustaining an X result and all its repercussions (leader loss etc). Perhaps OBA will also be called in on this target ?

2.In an effort to distract enemy OBA from this group, another 'attack' elsewhere may be useful where the target presented to the enemy is tempting, such as some other 'lesser' attack that is offering the chance for better mods for the enemies OBA. However, if your firegroup does get OBA'd, we are then hoping the leader with the useful moarle mod is doing his job. Not only that, your other 'lesser' attacks should be going-ahead, OBA free !

3. Next turn, the firegroup opens again dishing out some high-power fire. Watch the results and along with more OBA if available, drop that in and then unleash your assault forces towards the enemy. At 5 hexes from the target, your assault forces will either be as far away or behind your MG's thus being 5 or 6 hexes away. Now the race is on and the test of morale and detrmination (via MC dice-rolls) is now to be tested. But the infantry advance should leave them around 2 to 3 hexes from the target.

4. Before closing your infantry to being adjacent with the enemy, one more burst (the third) can now be thrown in and this one will hopefully unhinge the defenders enough to make their defensive fire at your approching assault troops as weak as you could hope (or non-existent if you've been lucky).

5. Once the assault troops close, its time to bring the MG's forward so as to be able to assist with high-value numbers in the upcoming assault, but hopefully you may well have a ENG and AFV in the attacking troops to add nice column shifts.

Now people reading this will probably give some 'buts' and 'what-ifs' and so on, but this is a tactic/doctrine I have employed successfully many times in PG in games with 16+ turns and have certainly used it against Alan Sawyer and Wayne Baumber with effect in our bigger scenarios. In smaller games, MG usage is a different beast, but taking into account the games I have seen your AAR on your website, you seem to dabble in the bigger ones. Also, the 12 turn games may be a bit short to employ such ideas, but these are generally smaller in size anyway and rarely employ such numbers of HMG's.

That's offensive PG doctrine for me, defensive is different altogether.
07-08-2012, 09:05 PM,
One thing I forgot Fred.

When sending in the INF attack, you are advised before closing adjacent to end up 3 hexes away so as to draw the -1 column for enemy fire against you for range. At this point, you are as good 3 hexes away as you are 2 hexes away because on the advance adjacent to the enemy, you can still reach him from this distance...

Thought I'd add that.