Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulge Season Nearly Upon Us
11-18-2015, 02:35 AM,
Bulge Season Nearly Upon Us
I'm one of those who always try to load Bulge related scenarios into the period between the 16th of December and the 7th of January, and the game scenarios are not exactly in order, so I took some time to build a list of Bulge related scenarios from Battle of the Bulge, Elsenborn Ridge and Winter Soldiers, in  date and time order so those who like to follow the historical dates can find the scenario for the day.  I looked at a few other games but didn't find anything else specific to the Bulge, although there are a few other things happening at the same time on other fronts and theaters.  I've left those off for now. If I've missed anything, let me know. 

Tom Oxley

Attached Files
.pdf   Panzer Grenadier.pdf (Size: 60.83 KB / Downloads: 34)
11-18-2015, 03:45 AM,
RE: Bulge Season Nearly Upon Us
Not another Front (its still the West Front) and not another theatre (Its still Europe). Did you consider Northwind a bit further South in France?
11-18-2015, 04:12 AM,
(11-18-2015, 03:45 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Not another Front (its still the West Front) and not another theatre (Its still Europe). Did you consider Northwind a bit further South in France?

I had stumbled on that after building the list and wondered about it.  Might be interesting to include.  Those are in the Invasion of Germany book I think.  I'd also wonder about scenarios affecting the British north of the Bulge that got involved in it.  I don't think there are any scenarios for that.
11-18-2015, 05:24 AM,
(11-18-2015, 04:12 AM)thomaso827 Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 03:45 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Did you consider Northwind a bit further South in France?
Those are in the Invasion of Germany book I think.  I'd also wonder about scenarios affecting the British north of the Bulge that got involved in it.  I don't think there are any scenarios for that.
No they aren't. You might be thinking of North of Elsenborn, which is about the lead up to the Hurtgen Forest battles. Operation North Wind was in the Alsace area against the 7th Army beginning December 31, 1944. It was a short lived scenario book before the appearance of Elsenborn Ridge. Hence the SS are taken from RtB.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-18-2015, 05:30 AM,
(11-18-2015, 05:24 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 04:12 AM)thomaso827 Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 03:45 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Did you consider Northwind a bit further South in France?
Those are in the Invasion of Germany book I think.  I'd also wonder about scenarios affecting the British north of the Bulge that got involved in it.  I don't think there are any scenarios for that.
No they aren't. You might be thinking of North of Elsenborn, which is about the lead up to the Hurtgen Forest battles. Operation North Wind was in the Alsace area against the 7th Army beginning December 31, 1944. It was a short lived scenario book before the appearance of Elsenborn Ridge. Hence the SS are taken from RtB.
I hadn't found that one yet.  I will tinker with adding those later.  I can pull up the scenario list from the library here and add them in.  And then start looking on Ebay for a copy of the book so I can play them.  Smile
11-18-2015, 08:27 AM,
You're going to need American Strongpoint Markers.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-18-2015, 09:42 PM,
"And then start looking on Ebay for a copy of the book so I can play them. "

In fact my MOST depressing win came from that Northwind set. Scenario 8 "Quiet Persuasion"

One thing it is NOT for the German player is a Quiet Persuasion. The US side has enough OBA to send down 3 x 55col OBA's EACH TURN for 30 turns! Although it sounds a strange thing to say "The most depressing win", it was putting up with and trying to get through that US OBA that was so demoralising for me as the German player. I won by exiting enough troops and it was so close right up till the end, but really .... not fun when all you want to do is have a go back at the enemy LOL. Rated it a '2' only. That said, its a good 10 game scenario book and was worth what I paid for it.
11-19-2015, 12:44 AM,
On the American strongpoint markers - wondering if it would be good to have a generic set of markers since from what I have seen, only one side in a scenario is using them. Use a neutral or earth-tone background, the stone-gray strongpoint on it, and a selection of DF factors on the flip side. Might open them up to future scenarios and DIY stuff where appropriate strongpoint markers aren't already available.
11-19-2015, 01:12 AM,
(11-19-2015, 12:44 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: On the American strongpoint markers - wondering if it would be good to have a generic set of markers since from what I have seen, only one side in a scenario is using them. Use a neutral or earth-tone background, the stone-gray strongpoint on it, and a selection of DF factors on the flip side. Might open them up to future scenarios and DIY stuff where appropriate strongpoint markers aren't already available.

It's possible and really not very hard. (I made USMC strongpoints for the defense of Midway.) It sort of goes against the charm of PG though. Dr. Mike long ago advocated that every participant should have their own color scheme. Apart from that side of the sensibilities issue, no problem. Would there be any demand?

A quick note on what you need to play. Apart from the Battle of the Bulge stuff and the strongpoints, everything you need is in Elsenborn Ridge.
11-20-2015, 06:17 AM,
There is a downloadable set of American strongpoint markers at :
http://www.avalanchepress.com/StrongNorthWind.php.
Aquick search on the AP website has strongpoints of a couple other nationalities available as well.