Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opp. Fire
05-08-2022, 01:23 PM,
RE: Opp. Fire
I think Triangular_cube has it.....
the opportunity fire happens ONLY in OP Fire in your opponents turn -1...
the "moved in last action segment" means you have to wait an action segment else the -1 still applies...but that is NOT the current
  action segment, but the next

I think applying both is incorrect....
waynebaumber likes this post
05-08-2022, 03:37 PM,
This was way simpler in the 2nd edition opfire rules. They never should have changed them. The new wording is confusing and ambiguous.

A moving track in any situation and range is a hard target to hit with a single shot -- especially in a quick reaction opportunity fire. In action, you seldom get 15 minutes to think about taking a perfect shot. Let's be a little bit more real about it and try to reduce PG gamey-ness.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
05-13-2022, 03:43 AM,
I'm with those that say the two modifiers do not combine.  The "preceding action phase" one is there to discourage a non-active player to simply wait until his own action segment to fire and avoid the op fire penalty.
triangular_cube, Michael Murphy, cjsiam like this post
05-13-2022, 01:45 PM,
unless we have confusion over the meaning "immediately preceding Action Segment" the rules are clear.
Opportunity fire happens in your opponents turn. AT fire in your action segment is your turn--not Opportunity fire.
The current segment <> the "immediately preceding Action Segment".....units don't move twice in a turn...

There are no circumstances where OP fire at a unit would coincide with "immediately preceding Action Segment"....

Thus, they do not combine.....one is in your opponents (OP fire) and one is in your own segment....

Because units move individually---if you fire at it OP fire.... and it then stopped....if you fired again in your very next action segment,
the -1 would still apply....there are no circumstances that can come up in the Game sequencing where BOTH would apply.
Q.E.D.

And--remember these are platoons....and it's 15 minutes....it's not "one shot" its a series of shots during the period while the unit
is in motion, from multiple weapons....
05-13-2022, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 06:37 PM by triangular_cube.)
To needlessly complicate this. Consider the following. A player moves a tank unit as the final activation on turn 1. On turn 2 said player wins initiative and moves the tank unit again as the first activation. Opposing player chooses to op fire at the moving tank unit, which also moved during the "immediately preceding action segment" (4th edition wording).

How do you score that? I feel like 4th RAW that would be a stacked modifier but I wouldn't play it that way in my solo games.
05-13-2022, 10:57 PM,
(05-13-2022, 06:36 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: To needlessly complicate this. ...

How do you score that? I feel like 4th RAW that would be a stacked modifier but I wouldn't play it that way in my solo games.

As you stated at the outset a needless complication. Unless there is an effective FoW roll, the turn only ends after both players pass sequentially. So whether actual or implied, there have been 2 action segments since your tank moved.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-13-2022, 11:59 PM,
Summation and results of AT opfire discussion
Issue: Do the modifiers for AT opfire and AT fire for previous action segment movement combine?
My position: No. Opfire occurs in the current action segment, thus previous action segment not relevant to this fire.
My adversary's position: They do. (I have trouble articulating his position.)

History of the modifiers has been referred to. This is how they were presented.
2nd edition:
    -1 if the target moved in the current or preceding action segment.
3rd edition:
    –1 target moved in preceding action segment
    –1 opportunity fire (13.0)
4th edition:
    —1 Target moved in the immediately preceding action segment
    —I Opportunity Fire (13.0)

From the replies (and counting mine or my adversary's positions), 4 people say they they don't combine, 1 person says they do. Also, one person off record says they do not combine.

The general consensus appears that the modifiers do not combine. The primary reason being the understanding that opfire fire occurs in the current action segment, thus different from previous action segment. (I sticking to rules as written question and leaving rational out.)
triangular_cube likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-15-2022, 05:11 AM,
Quote:I'm with those that say the two modifiers do not combine.  The "preceding action phase" one is there to discourage a non-active player to simply wait until his own action segment to fire and avoid the op fire penalty.

Agreed. I've always played that it's one or the other. 
Quote:The "preceding" action segment was when I took a shot at one of his tanks. Assuming I had missed the PzII with opportunity fire, and I took another shot at it in my activation

But remember that if you choose to use opportunity fire you can't then do a regular fire action later in the turn. It's either opportunity fire or a fire action.
05-16-2022, 04:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2022, 04:04 AM by waynebaumber.)
Peter I have already advised your opponent that you are correct and he is wrong.  Rules as read. He needs a firm hand sometimes.  Big Grin
05-16-2022, 06:58 AM,
Foolishly, if you play with rascals, you've consigned yourself to a plague of self-righteous, rule lawyers.Wink
waynebaumber and cochise75 like this post