Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your first cardboard wargame?
06-08-2012, 08:15 AM,
RE: Your first cardboard wargame?
Miniatures I invented the rules for in early sixties. First wargame, with miniatures too, in late sixties : "Peaux rouges contre long couteaux" edited by Capiepa, Paris, in French (Little big horn battle). First cardboard wargame, mid-seventies : Starship troopers !
06-08-2012, 08:35 AM,
(06-08-2012, 08:15 AM)leonard Wrote: First cardboard wargame, mid-seventies : Starship troopers !

This one?

[Image: pic3214_md.jpg]

oh wow! Talk about starting with a classic! That game is supposed to be pretty great!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-08-2012, 12:55 PM,
started playing board and miniatures in the mid 90's when i started primary school (which makes me significantly younger than the rest of you...) started off with the jedko classics, divisional and corps level African Campaign, Russian Campaign and Fortress Europa. first one i ever bought though was panzer leader (used) at a church market when i was 8.
06-09-2012, 06:41 AM,
Yep ! Exactly that one !! It was great fun having the arachnids, a secret tunnel plan just beneath the human soldiers or, on the human side, retrieving the arachnid brain after nuking the whole thing....
06-10-2012, 12:12 AM,
My first one was AH's 1914, I was 12 at the time. Later that year my parents bought me Blizkreg and Jutland. Soon followed by more AH games and S&T starting with issue 23. Good days, no bills only home work and games.
06-10-2012, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 07:03 AM by vince hughes.)
(06-10-2012, 12:12 AM)McKinley Wrote: My first one was AH's 1914, I was 12 at the time. Later that year my parents bought me Blizkreg and Jutland. Soon followed by more AH games and S&T starting with issue 23. Good days, no bills only home work and games.

I have NEVER seen AH 1914 !Huh

Any good, or basic fare for that period of game-making (odds charts etc) ?

I'm very interested in WW1
06-10-2012, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 07:50 AM by broadsword.)
A noble Jim Dunnigan effort that was an unplayable and dull monster.
Best thing about it that I remember was the thick and glossy historical supplement book, full of great material and images.

The fact that you've never seen a copy underscores my point -- the really great wargames from the AH and SPI eras are still being played today!
06-10-2012, 07:49 AM,
For you old-timers whose parents bought you copies of these very, very early wargames... I am extremely curious what was going through their heads? "Jutland... lil Tim will love this!"

It just seems so... non-mainstream? :-)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-10-2012, 07:55 AM,
(06-10-2012, 07:49 AM)Shad Wrote: For you old-timers whose parents bought you copies of these very, very early wargames... I am extremely curious what was going through their heads? "Jutland... lil Tim will love this!"

Until you remember that those games came in boxes in the same format as Clue, Monopoly, Parcheesi, etc. So they just looked like any other board game the kids might enjoy, until you really looked inside. And the fact that they dealt with historical subjects probably seemed educational and vaguely uplifting compared to Candyland -- sort of like buying your kids "Classics Illustrated" comic books instead of Batman. Remember that parents weren't as reflexively anti-military as they became after the 1960s -- we had entire arsenals of cap shooting assault weapons and hand grenades, too! good times...
06-10-2012, 08:49 AM,
(06-10-2012, 07:49 AM)Shad Wrote: For you old-timers whose parents bought you copies of these very, very early wargames... I am extremely curious what was going through their heads? "Jutland... lil Tim will love this!"

I was 4 and 5 years old 68/69, but even through the 70's, most boys had things that were either cars, building type things (Lego, Meccano etc) or War things including Cowboys and Indians in that group. There wasn't the anti-war/weapon ethos then. Which is quite strange as the generation that missed them seem to suffering more violent crime and gun crime ???

Even Action Man (in the US it was GI Joe) had a superb collection of uniforms. There were German Storm trooper, Soviet Infantry, French resistance, Colditz Guard, British Infantry etc etc. And these WERE educational on a historical level. I remember, whilst collecting Timpo soldiers (Interchangeable colour models 1/32nd scale) I had a huge US cavalry/Indian collection. My nan bought me the Timpo Fort, complete with massive stockade, wagons and housing. ACross the living room were set the wig-wams and tepees of the Indian attackers ... cool toys Smile

Now, Action Man is a big pansy, as the kits for him inlude Skateboarder and BMX bike and no WW2 type stuff at all .... geez Rolleyes

look up all my referals under google images