Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd edition Kokoda campaigns?
09-23-2015, 02:16 AM,
2nd edition Kokoda campaigns?
Campaign or campaigns...linked scenarios, purchase based scenarios, or C&C style scenarios, with the rules for skills and officer advancement thrown in.  Most of my PG gaming uses the C&C rules where possible, sort of PG meets Sniper.
09-23-2015, 02:41 AM,
RE: 2nd edition Kokoda campaigns?
Looking at that now.  Expect it to have campaigns to take advantage of the fact that officers of the Diggers didn't necessarily mix too much with the regulars.  Also expect mini-arcs covering individual actions (e.g. Milne Bay, Isurava, etc.).  The actions were very confused and happened over days rather than resolving in a 6 hour period (24 turns).  

There will be the existing C&C superstructure with representative scenarios taken from each of the major actions.  It will be pared down somewhat from the existing 14 scenario campaign as that is probably too many for the C&C system to work well (6-9 seems ideal from my plays of the system).

So, a C&C campaign for leader development and several mini-campaigns to determine a "winner" of each individual action.  This requires a whole lot more balancing than the existing product.  A quick review indicates that the Japanese win way out of proportion to reality, so we are working on "fixing" things to balance it out better.  I am hopeful that we can get it right.

I don't expect a "purchase based" system as in C&C since the unit choices are too limited to make that very interesting
No "minor" country left behind...
09-23-2015, 03:41 AM,
The original Kokoda campaign consisted of 14 linked scenarios. My reading of the APL description doesn't suggest any change in the scenario book, so it will likely be the same campaign. If you have the original Kokoda Trail, and have the counters, I would advise against buying the new version.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-23-2015, 05:02 AM,
Peter, we already made some changes to the scenario book with lots more coming. Matt's post above explains what we are trying to achieve.

The maps will be the maps from the Kokoda Trail supplement.
The counters will be the Australian countersheet from Afrika Korps and the Japanese countersheet from Guadalcanal.
The scenarios will be mostly re-work of the existing scenarios. We definitely are making some changes (Game Length, SSR, Victory Conditions) to make them better balanced.

I suspect the target audience is players who do not own all these products.
09-23-2015, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 07:26 AM by larry marak.)
It will probably not be a big seller, but the game is a good idea because 1. It keeps 8 tropical jungle enviornment maps in print, and 2. It keeps 1942 era Japanese order of battle available for future Island and Chinese mainland modules.

If it were possible, I'd order the scenario book separately.
09-23-2015, 07:48 AM,
(09-23-2015, 07:26 AM)larry marak Wrote: If it were possible, I'd order the scenario book separately.

Same here. I already have the maps and counters, and would love to be able to get just the reworked scenarios.
09-23-2015, 10:09 AM,
The book option has been nixed.
09-24-2015, 04:54 AM,
I asked Dr B about getting it without the counters and he said you could on the company site on CSW.
09-24-2015, 05:43 AM,
(09-24-2015, 04:54 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: I asked Dr B about getting it without the counters and he said you could on the company site on CSW.
I was unaware there was a company site on CSW. I also seem to be unable to find it. Could we get a link?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-24-2015, 07:16 AM,
I think he meant to type that he contacted Dr B. through the company support page at CSW and the good Dr. told him to place in the notes of his order that he wants K Campaign without the counters, donating them back to the company.