Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of the Bulge, Bucholz scenario
07-14-2015, 10:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2015, 10:03 PM by Ney 84.)
Battle of the Bulge, Bucholz scenario
In this scenario, the german must destroy an american 105 mm. Can the american tow the gun with a truck? If the american tow the gun and the truck runs through the map during every turn, it's impossible for the slow german infantry to catch it and destroy it so impossible to win! Do I missed something?
Thanks for your help. Idea
07-15-2015, 12:15 AM,
RE: Battle of the Bulge, Bucholz scenario
I suspect you are not catching onto the nuance of the situation. Specifically take note of special rule 3. Keep in mind that the game used to be played the 2nd/3rd edition rules, which make the hills limiting terrain. Functionally this meant that the Americans were not going to do anything until the Germans moved within 3 hexes.

If the German player moves carefully, a grenadier could move to firing range of the in 4 turns, and block the road on the 5th. With the strategic movement rule, it could be done a turn or 2 earlier. Not a good chance of winning, and it requires some luck. Keep in mind that historically the Germans lost this scenario. It was one of the setbacks that allowed the Americans to consolidate Bastogne.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-15-2015, 03:55 AM,
(07-15-2015, 12:15 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I suspect you are not catching onto the nuance of the situation. Specifically take note of special rule 3. Keep in mind that the game used to be played the 2nd/3rd edition rules, which make the hills limiting terrain. Functionally this meant that the Americans were not going to do anything until the Germans moved within 3 hexes.

If the German player moves carefully, a grenadier could move to firing range of the in 4 turns, and block the road on the 5th. With the strategic movement rule, it could be done a turn or 2 earlier. Not a good chance of winning, and it requires some luck. Keep in mind that historically the Germans lost this scenario. It was one of the setbacks that allowed the Americans to consolidate Bastogne.
Oh I see, I've played this scenario with the 4 rules edition (Hills not limiting terrain) and the german were quickly spotted on the hill. Do I have to consider hills as liminting terrain for the balance of all scenarios from Battle of the bulge?
Thank you very much for your help.
07-15-2015, 06:56 AM,
I suspect we'll see more issues like this as older products are re-released with 4th edition rules.
07-15-2015, 08:09 AM,
Future plays of the scenario should see balance swinging more into the Allied favor. One could always compensate by changing the time of day the scenario is played, so that visibility is limited by dawn dusk conditions, or by fog or rain.
07-15-2015, 08:32 AM,
I've actually been to the Bulge and you should consider the hills limiting terrain. Of course I'd hate for reality to intrude in a game. Wink