Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consimworld Expo
06-09-2015, 01:21 AM,
Consimworld Expo
Cross-posted from the PG forum on CSW.

Geez, its just 2 weeks away.  I'm sure I'm unprepared.

Anyway, my experience at CSW Expo is that a lot of long-time grognards have a chip against APL and especially Panzer Grenadier, mostly because their experiences were formed from early games where the graphics weren't as good (IMO), earlier rules sets (I came in with 3rd edition, so I have no experience with them) and poorly balanced/tested scenarios.  So, mentioning AP there is often a way to get a lot of people deriding the company.  That being said, I bring something PG every year and attempt to get it played, with little success.

That appears to be changing.  5 people (including yours truly) have Panzer Grenadier in their open gaming preferences, and we're working on putting together several games.  I personally prefer one on one, and there's been some talk of trying a Cassino campaign, or of a large scenario that can accommodate 4 players (the 5th guy just signed up recently).  So, I think there's every chance for the games to get some good exposure there.  Personally, I'm bringing Pusan Perimeter, An Army at Dawn, and probably one of the Kursk games.  I haven't decided yet.  I drive there, so space isn't consideration.  I'm only limited by the size of my trunk.

I'm actually pretty excited about this.  I don't get to play PG face to face nearly as much as I'd like, and hopefully this will spread some love for the system.

Does anybody have some suggestions for a scenario that a)  doesn't require pieces from 10 games and b) is big enough that multiple commanders won't get bored?
06-09-2015, 04:39 AM,
RE: Consimworld Expo
(06-09-2015, 01:21 AM)J6A Wrote:
Quote:Does anybody have some suggestions for a scenario that a)  doesn't require pieces from 10 games and b) is big enough that multiple commanders won't get bored?

There are some RtB scenarios that naturally break up into sectors.  The Viking set: #'s 3; 6; 7.  I liked #19 very much (the SS don't have to attack in sectors, but they can - even if they load everything along one attack axis, one SS player could take the PZ_IV battalion; another the PzV's; even a third the heavy tank battalion: each with some accompanying GREN etc.)  #58 Seelow South Flank again has some interesting possibilities (Sov on attack): Sov command could be sector based or INF/Tank forces based.  

Obviously, KSF and KBT offer some large scenarios as well.  

Just a few quick, off-the-cuff suggestions.
PY
06-09-2015, 06:00 AM,
How long do you want to play?

Scenarios which include early reinforcements on both sides can be a good choice for 4-player game. One player control the forces that start on the board, the other the reinforcements.

One other idea may be to conduct a little tournament, all play all if you pick small enough scenarios.

Make sure they know about PG-HQ!
06-09-2015, 06:50 AM,
(06-09-2015, 01:21 AM)J6A Wrote: and probably one of the Kursk games.  I haven't decided yet.  

I'd suggest Burning Tigers if you want to attract new players.  The South Flank counters come from the scorched-counters era.  I'm sure you'll want to put PG's best foot forward.

Wish I could be there.  Haven't played PG FTF in far too long.

Robin
06-09-2015, 12:30 PM,
Where is it located? I'll be traveling out west on a working vacation over the next couple weeks. If I'm nearby, I would gladly drop in!!
06-09-2015, 02:39 PM,
It's in Tempe Arizona (Phoenix Area). It's from June 20 - 27.
06-09-2015, 10:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 10:14 PM by Coniglius.)
(06-09-2015, 02:39 PM)J6A Wrote: It's in Tempe Arizona (Phoenix Area).  It's from June 20 - 27.

Sweet, I'll be in the area during that time frame!!!
06-10-2015, 04:43 AM,
Cool. Here's a link to the discussion forum - http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d65b/19874 and to the con itself - http://expo.consimworld.com/
06-10-2015, 06:23 AM,
I'd suggest making a bigger scenario combining the maps from both Kursk games. It would not take much work to do one with the amount of data that's out there.
06-15-2015, 03:03 AM,
I have the prefect 4 player scenario, two per side but unfortunately it hasn't been released yet. Hopefully in the next year or two. Sad