Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infidel by GMT Games
07-05-2012, 01:28 AM,
Infidel by GMT Games
Ok, I must give one more recommendation or plug for Infidel, as this is the area to post other Non-PG games it seems!

When I first bought this game I wasn’t sure if I would like it or not, as Ancients & Medieval games haven’t been big on my play list other than the older AH Caesar Epic Battle of Alesia but I pre-ordered this months before it came out and have played all the scenarios since then, because it’s really fun and the Activation & Continuity command activation not only makes great FtF play but excellent Solo play, as I usually play Solo. The replay value is huge with this method of play and this game comes with 6 scenarios, 5 maps with some interesting terrain for desert maps and very pleasing to the eyes as well. Nice color playing charts. A nice variety of counters types: Over-All Command Leaders, Leaders, Knights, Heavy Cavalry, Medium Cavalry, Medium Cavalry Archers, Light Cavalry Archers, Archers, Crossbowmen, Archers with Flails, Men-at Arms, Pike Infantry, Pike Infantry Javelineers, Camp Followers, Wagons, Carrocio, Standards and Markers. Not only this but the game is well supported on both consimworld & boardgamegeek with even some home-made player aids and questions being answered right away by the game developer; Ralph Shelton and other more experienced players & supporters.

After a few turns you start to understand the game mechanics, after a few scenarios you start to understand some more strategies. All the scenarios have an optional game balance if you find one side or the other winning too offend. But moving the different Crusader, Turkish & Egyptian Armies around or Christian & Muslim different styles of medieval combat is just very enjoyable. Trying to decide which formation to activate next is just downright tense at times!

For a game I didn’t expect much from, this one has fallen into one of my all-time favorites. I recommend this game!
07-13-2012, 12:05 PM,
RE: Infidel by GMT Games
Both this and Men of Iron are great games. The open ended turn structure where any Leader can activate (as long as some requirements are met) if it didn't just activate (trumping aside) makes for some crazy battles. Great solo games, too, as are most of GMT's GBOH games...

If you like Infidel you should check out The Devil's Horsemen (GBOH)....oceans of horse archers! It really gave me an idea of how those steppe armies used light cav....
07-14-2012, 04:51 AM,
RE: Infidel by GMT Games
I have Infidel and would love to play it someday. Not sure exactly when, but hopefully not too far in the future.