Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DIY Counters... spray?
02-04-2015, 01:37 AM,
DIY Counters... spray?
I am slowly working towards making my own PG counters. I have $$ set aside, I just need to get out and buy the materials.

BlueBell88A mentions applying "inkjet paper gloss varnish" which I've never heard of before. Does anyone else use anything like polyuerthane or polycrylic (I'm not sure what polycrylic is either). I like the idea of spraying the chits but looking to do it right the first time. Smile
02-04-2015, 01:55 AM,
RE: DIY Counters... spray?
I use Crystal Clear Acrylic from Krylon to seal the colors. You have to be careful that your sheet is flat because an accumulation of acrylic in one spot will make the counters less bright. I use several pins in the sheet and it works well for me.

http://www.krylon.com/products/crystal-clear-acrylic/

Keep in mind I don't always bother because most of the games I construct these days are playtest copies and my experience is it's more likely I will have to deface the counters myself - say because the developer changed the value during the playtest cycle - than them being damaged for lack of finish.

==

I like to use 3M 77 to glue things because it gives me a second chance if I screw up.
02-04-2015, 02:41 AM,
I've used the Krylon too. It works pretty well. I prefer a semi-gloss rather than high gloss spray, though I don't recall the brand I am using right now. I gotten my best results with Zinsser spray Shellac. I've tried spray lacquer, but didn't like it. Whatever you use, be careful with laser prints. Most of the coatings will make laser prints run. The shellac will work on laser prints, but use it very lightly. Good quality inkjet prints are best.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-04-2015, 08:07 AM,
(02-04-2015, 01:37 AM)richvalle Wrote: I am slowly working towards making my own PG counters. I have $$ set aside, I just need to get out and buy the materials.

BlueBell88A mentions applying "inkjet paper gloss varnish" which I've never heard of before. Does anyone else use anything like polyuerthane or polycrylic (I'm not sure what polycrylic is either). I like the idea of spraying the chits but looking to do it right the first time. Smile

I bought "Ghiant" glossy inkjet fixative spray from my local photographic store. They also had a matt version. I have used a "Winsor & Newton" matt fixative spray before but found that on inkjet label paper it does not enrich the colours like the glossy spray, and the counters feel really rough (although at least they do not slide over each other!). Three light coats of gloss gives a good match for Elsenborn Ridge counters. Counter sets from some other PG games are less shiny, so one could either reduce the number of gloss coats or use a satin spray instead. Looking on Google, "Ghiant" produce a satin inkjet fixative spray, but I have no experience of using it.

The blurb on the back of the "Ghiant" spray can states that it is for fixing inkjet inks, and on my DIY counters it certainly does that. It also states that it is always advisable to test materials for compatibility before use.

When considering other types of varnish, beware of the risk of colour bleed.

Tim
02-06-2015, 01:24 PM,
When I make counters I print them out on large size sheet labels. I used to use 3M spray adhesive someone mentioned above. Wish I had found these labels years ago.
02-06-2015, 11:56 PM,
Yep, I plan on buying some Avery's labels, mat board, good scissors and/or a cutting board and exacto knife.

I also picked up some foam board on sale and I hope to buy some rubber cement and then photo copy some maps and 3D-ify them.
02-07-2015, 03:13 AM,
(02-06-2015, 11:56 PM)richvalle Wrote: I also picked up some foam board on sale and I hope to buy some rubber cement and then photo copy some maps and 3D-ify them.
That could be worth seeing. Post some pictures when you are done. Are you going to use miniatures or flats too?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-07-2015, 04:33 AM,
I was inspired by these:

http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/ga...s_map.html
Juiceman likes this post
02-07-2015, 09:28 AM,
(02-07-2015, 04:33 AM)richvalle Wrote: I was inspired by these:

http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/ga...s_map.html

Very cool, but you might consider making each terrain level removable since so many scenarios play funny games with the elevation lines.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-07-2015, 12:53 PM,
(02-07-2015, 03:13 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 11:56 PM)richvalle Wrote: I also picked up some foam board on sale and I hope to buy some rubber cement and then photo copy some maps and 3D-ify them.
That could be worth seeing. Post some pictures when you are done. Are you going to use miniatures or flats too?

Not sure what you mean by flats?

I don't plan on using minis. Interesting idea though.