Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leader Casualties in Assaults
01-08-2015, 01:58 AM,
Leader Casualties in Assaults
This question came up and I thought I knew the answer but looking closer it's not so clear cut.

What happens to a leader in a hex where all his units have been eliminated? I thought that if there were more steps lost then steps available then the leader is lost. Otherwise he suffers a leader lost roll and then a leader capture roll and if safe from both he gets displaced.

But looking at the rule for leaders lost from extra steps it specifically says losses from Direct Fire or Bombardment. So... I think if a leader is in a hex with 1 reduced Inf and it suffers a 3 step loss on the assault the inf is eliminated, the leader rolls looking for a 3 or higher on leader loss and then less then 9 on leader capture and then is displaced.

That sound right?

rv
01-08-2015, 02:57 AM,
RE: Leader Casualties in Assaults
If the leader survives the casualty check, we roll for displacement.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-08-2015, 03:25 AM,
But what if he's there are more step losses then steps in the hex? Is he immune from that in Assaults but not for Direct and Bombardment?

Thanks,

rv
01-08-2015, 03:46 AM,
I asked that particular question long ago in regards to DF & BF step losses. The consensus at the time was that excess step losses did not translate to leader losses, since they did not begin the action segment alone. Since rule does not appear to have changed, I presume the consensus has not either. thus excess step losses do not apply to leaders after units have been eliminated. (You might consider applying excess losses against their survival check.)
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-08-2015, 03:53 AM,
(01-08-2015, 03:46 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: (You might consider applying excess losses against their survival check.)

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well.

Thanks!

rv
01-08-2015, 08:38 AM,
Rich asked these questions on my behalf. I found the 4th ed rules unclear. Based on the discussion it appears I didn't read 6.71 carefully enough. I agree with the interpretation that excess step losses due to assault would not apply, and one should then roll for displacement. However, I don't think the rules call this out as clearly as they should.