Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chasing Ldrs/Koms
12-28-2014, 08:46 AM,
Chasing Ldrs/Koms
When a combat unit "chases" a lone leader or, specifically in my case, a Kommissar:

Presumably by the letter of the rule "displacement" is independent of the ldr/kom's movement? That is, supposing the chasing unit had a greater or equal movement to the ldr/kom. Assuming a set of rolls less than 9 continue to be rolled for the casualty, the leader continues to be displaced?

Then, to follow on; had the ldr/kom not yet been activated, can it then do so and move?

The particular case that's brought this question to mind is that Soviet units have a -1 to their movement allowance in heavy snow conditions, but not so the Finns. Thus a Finnish INF (and LT) have chased a Kommissar three hexes, but have failed to catch the chekist. If he now activates and moves three hexes (his reduced allowance); he'll have actually moved 6x200-m = 1200-m in 15 minutes in heavy snow during darkness.

By reductio ad absurdum, one could conceivably chase a lone leader an indefinite distance by using a series of units in sequence whilst having a run of low dice-rolls.

Just curious what others have done e.g. any home rules that once a lone leader has been displaced above his movement allowance he's a casualty by exhaustion?
12-28-2014, 01:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 01:19 PM by campsawyer.)
RE: Chasing Ldrs/Koms
Assuming a set of rolls less than 9 continue to be rolled for the casualty, the leader continues to be displaced? Yes

had the ldr/kom not yet been activated, can it then do so and move?Yes

I don't really like it either, but I have not invested time to think of anything different.
12-29-2014, 01:14 AM,
(12-28-2014, 08:46 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: ... one could conceivably chase a lone leader an indefinite distance by using a series of units in sequence whilst having a run of low dice-rolls.
Correct.

I will sometimes chase leaders for a couple of turns to, at a minimum, push them further away from the action. I find reduced platoons and SPW 251 to be very useful for such tasks.

I like this rule so don't look at me for a house rule!
12-30-2014, 06:27 AM,
Probably doing it wrong, but it seemed to fit that the displacement counted as an activation, so in this limited case the leader being chased might be activated by the chase multiple times but then couldn't activate voluntarily. Guess that would fall under my first house rule. Smile