Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WWI Cavalry
11-26-2014, 06:16 PM,
WWI Cavalry
I'm not really familiar with WW1 on the East Front. How prominent was Cavalry? Was it the shock weapon that tanks became during WW2?

How does WW1 cavalry compare to WW2 tactically, along with it being more prominent?

I know the IA series allows cavalry to dismount which gives firepower and range benefits. Does cavalry act more like mobile infantry then? More opportunities for cavalry charges vs WW2 battles?
warstudent aka Jim
11-27-2014, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014, 03:21 AM by larry marak.)
RE: WWI Cavalry
Cavalry in WWI needed 2 requirements to be an effective weapon, 1. an open front, which was quite available on the Eastern Front, and 2. fairly rapid communication with headquarters, which was rarely available anywhere during that war. Despite some interesting Cossack operations, the pre-eminent cavalry front was the middle east, where cavalry and camelry ruled.
11-27-2014, 09:32 AM,
(11-26-2014, 06:16 PM)warstudent Wrote: I'm not really familiar with WW1 on the East Front. How prominent was Cavalry? Was it the shock weapon that tanks became during WW2?

How does WW1 cavalry compare to WW2 tactically, along with it being more prominent?

I know the IA series allows cavalry to dismount which gives firepower and range benefits. Does cavalry act more like mobile infantry then? More opportunities for cavalry charges vs WW2 battles?

August 1914 will see cavalry in its more traditional role of recon etc. Never really used as a shock weapon unless on those rare occasions 2 x opposing cavalry forces kind of 'agreed' to attack each other in the old style. Remember, even by the ACW, cavalry was not oft used in a Napoleonic or Crimea sense.

After August 1914, then they tend to become more mounted infantry and an extravagance. The Middle East saw Cavalry forces getting more of a shout.
11-29-2014, 10:18 PM,
Thanks Larry & Vince
warstudent aka Jim