Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
02-08-2014, 07:37 PM,
RE: The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary

Session 3 - Stalemate at St.Barthelemy (scenario 28 BSS)

Played 4 more turns in another brain-draining session with Hugmenot last night. In the last session report I explained that the German right flank (north) was being pressured by large amounts of US troops despite casualties inflicted on the US and that they had determinedly got themselves into assaults into the out-lying dug-outs and with some advantage. I also wrote that on the left flank (southern) at the other end of the board, lighter amounts of Yanks were trickling round the flank but their leaders here due to their own disruptions were not so in control. The centre had a large amount of GI's ready to advance and these were holding down a sizeable and powerful portion of the German SS forces. By the end of session 2 it appeared still 50-50 but with a definite risk of a possible American break-in to the Germans lines.

(Right Flank) : As I had a 2 v 1 initiative advantage, I was hoping to get the first AS of turn 9, but rolling a 2 to his 6 allowed the US two AS's. The US did exactly what I was going to AS and continued with his assaults on my weakened dug-in positions on the right (I would have recovered some troops here). It was a mixed bag of action. The US attacks were weak in their effect and the Germans inflicted tough MC's on the Americans. Despite this salvaging oppurtunity, 2 of the 3 dug-outs morale didn't hold up and left themselves vulnerable in demoralised and disrupted states. This was looking dangerous, so the Germans concentrated on putting what ever forces they could spare towards the threatened town plus use on and off board artillery to pummel the Americans here. Both sides ended up inflicting 3 steps of damage on each other but at this point, the US were looking very threatening indeed.

Turns 10 & 11 proved more sedatory in casualty loss, just one American step. But now, the US advance on the right had been slowed. German opportunity fire was still causing disorder and the guns continued to bombard the area. Add to this that the one dug-out was completely holding out and the others were only now just being overrun PLUS a 4 AS turn ended quickly by FOW and suddenly there was a time pressure on the American attack.

Turn 12 was a little devastating for the Americans as they collected 8 steps of casualties in their attempts to advance in the face of pinpoint artillery plotting and accurate opp.fire. The right flank attack in the north is now looking very weakened for the US. It seemed every time he advanced something forward it was either shot up, disrupted or demoralised.

On the left flank the American advance here continued over the 4 turns played to be a trickle. Some have also changed direction as these, combined with the centre forces look to push on towards the objective crossroads. Lots of movement, but very little action here. perhaps best expressed as some US disorder and German holding tactics.

With the sudden ending of a very short turn 11, the US, in turn 12 got their troops in the centre on the move. These had been weakened in numbers a bit as some of this force had been disseminated in the last 3 turns towards both flanks. They finally advanced in sight of the German line, but were still 400m away on a wheat covered hill. Nonetheless, German defensive fire inflicted some losses as well as disruption and demoralisation.

Overall, for the Germans, it ended as a good session. The northern section or German right flank looks to have reduced the Americans to something nearing a disorganised group of 'small-groups'. The left or southern flank at present is still controllable, but is still being suspiciously eyed for developments and the centre still looks strong for the Germans.

As it stands, the Germans still control all 9 town hexes across the board and the crossroads. Casualties this session 4 German steps, 12 American steps. On going total: German 11 steps, American 28 steps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary - by vince hughes - 02-08-2014, 07:37 PM