Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[House Rules] Immobilizing AT Fire
07-25-2013, 11:42 PM,
Immobilizing AT Fire
I know this topic has been batted around before either here or CSW, but I just wanted to put forward the thought of immobilizing AT fire. This would be AT shots that don't kill the armored unit but temporarily immobilize them it instead. Many real AAR accounts mention that they hit the targets with fire to see it stopped but soon after needed to shoot at it again at it wasn't killed, but there was a brief moment of indecision for the crews. (Just read and interesting account of a German Panzer crew going after a KV-1 thinking they destroyed it, only to have to go after it later.) This got me thinking that the PG AT system is a binary result, you either kill them or you don't, but in reality there were grey area's and sometime the tanks were just temporarily stopped.

I believe that PG has all the mechanics to have this simulated in the game. Morale has been used to show temporary fire results for infantry as well as further penalizing tanks upon a step reduction. I believe this can be used to create the above effect that I mention. Recently, is some of my solo games I have resurrected the idea that a AT fire result of a modified roll of '9' causes a 'M' morale check for the armored unit. The unit would apply all failed morale check rolls per the core rules and would recover in the same way.

So, the first question to be asked is how did the scenarios that you tested it on play and did if significantly change them? The answer is it changed them no more than a random leader selection would change one play for another. Out of three played and one of those twice, with and without, the modification all results were within a normal play. The morale check occurred eight times in the three games, with failure five times and two demoralizations and three disruptions. With the surrounding bigger battles only one time did it allow for a interesting situation to occur. A Soviet ATR unit was able to disrupt a PzIIIG that was part of an assault force moving to attack. Stopped from moving up the German assault force was denied the armor support and was demoralized by a Soviet counter-assault. If they had the armor, they may have received a better result on the first round would not have been demoralized on the second. The Soviets eventually beat the Germans back, but the Germans won the scenario. So, I saw this as not really a major effect.

The second question is how can this be useful if it did not have a big impact? This is where I toss it over to the forum to possibly try and report on the results. I am just looking for people to give it a try, or if they have, and give some feedback like I have above.

Messages In This Thread
Immobilizing AT Fire - by campsawyer - 07-25-2013, 11:42 PM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by rmakowsky - 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by campsawyer - 08-08-2013, 11:07 PM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by JayTownsend - 08-08-2013, 11:13 PM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by Matt W - 08-08-2013, 11:35 PM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by vince hughes - 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by campsawyer - 08-09-2013, 05:11 AM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by Hugmenot - 08-09-2013, 12:06 AM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by campsawyer - 08-09-2013, 05:15 AM
RE: Immobilizing AT Fire - by Matt W - 08-09-2013, 12:32 AM