Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you play?
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM,
Wink  How do you play?
Panzer Grenadier, how do you play it?

I ask in all seriousness! Smile

I prefer (though don't often play) the 4 to 6 geomorphic map scenarios, with lots of counters, but it's a complicated relationship...

...part of me loves having a huge variety of units and leaders and lots of terrain to move in...

...but part of me recoils at the thought of trying to put together a coherent battle plan! (typically I'll sort out everything I need into stacks of INF, HMGs, LTs, etc. and then just space out for half an hour trying to mentally contort those towers into functioning battle groups)

When I DO play these med-large scenarios, I play very slowly... and intermittently. Even though I am having a good time, I find myself getting mentally restless after 90 minutes or 2 hours and need to stop and take a break.

Mind you this is all solo, face-to-face would probably be very different!

I try to never abandon scenarios before they run their full course, unless it's a situation where the attacker has melted away in front of well-manned defenses. This is more due to making bold and ultimately erroneous predictions midway through my own battles in the past ... I've learned not to trust my own judgment!

I do enjoy a drink at the table, typically black coffee. Rolleyes

I have a butt-ugly cardboard dice tower I made in a fit of boredom some years back that I use for 2d6 rolls.

I think tile spacers instead of moved/fired markers is just brilliant.

I've got one double sheet set of clipped markers that I use with all my games. All the other marker sheets remain unpunched.

I don't sub-fold my large paper maps, even if it's a scenario only occupying a few square centimeters of area.

I have used plastic sheets over the maps in the past, but mine are so scratched up now they're almost opaque and should be replaced.

I most enjoy playing in the mornings after having gotten up and made a pot of coffee... playing late at night is less satisfying, perhaps because my wits aren't quite so sharp.

The mismatched map art doesn't bother me, counter mistakes are amusing, but typos in the scenario books annoy the shit out of me for some reason.

My PG dream is to play one of the mega-campaigns, perhaps Cassino, face-to-face with someone of equal or slightly better competence. Big Grin

Lastly, I cherish the time I've shared (and will continue to share!) with all of you Blush Tongue
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...

Messages In This Thread
How do you play? - by Shad - 10-19-2012, 06:53 PM
RE: How do you play? - by vince hughes - 10-19-2012, 10:29 PM
RE: How do you play? - by Shad - 10-19-2012, 10:53 PM
RE: How do you play? - by vince hughes - 10-20-2012, 01:31 AM
RE: How do you play? - by campsawyer - 10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
RE: How do you play? - by Matt W - 10-19-2012, 11:22 PM
RE: How do you play? - by vince hughes - 10-20-2012, 01:59 AM
RE: How do you play? - by waynebaumber - 10-20-2012, 04:47 AM
RE: How do you play? - by JayTownsend - 10-20-2012, 03:41 AM
RE: How do you play? - by waynebaumber - 10-20-2012, 04:42 AM
RE: How do you play? - by Dean_P - 10-20-2012, 12:29 PM