Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctrine or not?
08-01-2023, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 08:28 AM by Tony M.)
Doctrine or not?
This isn't exactly a rules question, so I hope it's OK to post it here.

Back in the day when I used to play a lot of The Gamers' TCS games I always tried to stick to doctrine for each side. That is, I would try to position all my units so that each formation attacked or defended on whatever hex frontage was appropriate for that army. I used to know all those frontages, but not any more, and I've forgotten where I wrote them down. 

On the Avalanche website there was an article about the soldiers behind the counters. There was a lot of info on what a platoon contains, but nothing on how attacks and defenses were organized. Does anyone else out there try to incorporate actual doctrine into their play? I can't believe I'm the only one. If someone would please refresh my memory I would appreciate it.

Each hex in PG is 200 m across. If we can stack 3 combat units in a hex, does that mean we are mounting a company-sized attack on a 200 m front? I have no idea what Romanian doctrine called for, and I don't remember what Soviet doctrine called for, but 200 m for a company sized attack seems a bit extreme, even for the Soviets. Though I do seem to remember that Soviet attack fronts were rather narrow. And I don't remember how the Soviets organized for defense, especially in 1941.

I attended Origins in Columbus a number of times back in the day, and Col. David Glantz, Charles Sharp and Jack Radey went into this stuff in detail, but again, I've misplaced my notes. I have a number of books on German and Soviet tactical doctrine, but they are hiding somewhere in my attic.

Messages In This Thread
Doctrine or not? - by Tony M - 08-01-2023, 08:25 AM
RE: Doctrine or not? - by plloyd1010 - 08-01-2023, 10:39 AM
RE: Doctrine or not? - by Tony M - 08-03-2023, 07:58 AM
RE: Doctrine or not? - by plloyd1010 - 08-03-2023, 10:16 AM