Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[New Features] musings on photo support
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM,
Lightbulb  [New Features] musings on photo support
I've spent the better part of my morning looking at my options for adding photo support to Panzer Grenadier Headquarters.

The two main paths are:
  1. bolt-on a mature, exhaustive photo gallery site
  2. craft a minimalist, custom implementation
The first option gets us up and running quicker, but has a huge amount of overhead and will introduce a great deal of features that we frankly don't need.

The second option is slower since I'd be writing it myself, but has the advantage of being built from the ground-up to suit our site.

Currently I'm leaning towards the second option.

In my mind our photo needs are very simple:
  1. each user has their own gallery
  2. galleries can be organized into sub-folders (BGG can't do this and I hate it)
  3. photos can be easily added to AARs
  4. (possible bonus feature) photos can be tagged with subjects (ex: "Road to Berlin") and automatically placed into that item's gallery
I don't think people need to be able to crop photos, or rate photos, or add overlay text and whatnot - all features that are standard in the big packages.

The implementation I'm visualizing goes like this:

My PG-HQ - we add a new tab "My Gallery" wherein you can upload whatever you want. Images are automatically resized to fit PG-HQ's dimensions, but originals are saved for click-through viewing at full size. You can organize your gallery however you please with subfolders. Other members can browse your gallery via your profile page.

AAR Editor - we add an image sidebar full of your image thumbnails. Clicking an image adds it to your AAR.

That's it. Super simple, but satisfies basic requirements.

Comments?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...

Messages In This Thread
[New Features] musings on photo support - by Shad - 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM