Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Question on elevations/slopes, and, spotting
07-30-2017, 08:37 AM,
Question on elevations/slopes, and, spotting
Searched the folders and couldn't find an answer to my query, I apologize if this is redundant.

LOS at 0m and 20m is perfectly clear to me, the bullet points in 8.42 show what blocks and what doesn't.  And I've said this before, I like the way the 4th ed handles this.

But at 40m or higher I'm not sure what the rule is.  There aren't any bullet points in 8.42 that cover anything lower than equal or higher elevation.  In essence, blocking terrain at 0m, which rises to 20m, has no effect whatsoever on LOS from units at 40m.  This includes slopes at 20m. 

So, for example, if there was a clear hex/slope hex of 40m on board 2, surrounded by 6 clear 20m slope hexes, a unit on the 40m hex would have legal LOS to every hex of the large town on board 2.

If this is correct small "bald" hills like the one on board 9 are very commanding.

Spotting question:  the +6 per level rule, that adds to spotting range, only applies to non-limiting terrain, right?  In other words, a unit in a town is never spotted beyond 3 hexes, unless it fires/gets marked spotted.

Thanks for any assistance!

Messages In This Thread
Question on elevations/slopes, and, spotting - by petermc - 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM