Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
05-28-2017, 10:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017, 10:21 PM by RLW.)
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values
(05-25-2017, 02:32 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: One issue with a plus and minus die is the following:

If the Direct Fire is exactly 22 factor. The plus die is 8-sided but eight is treated has 0 so it can never go to the 30-column. If you roll a "1" on the d8 and a "3" on the d6, the net is -2 and thus the fire would drop to the 16 column.  I believe there are several ways to solve this issue.

I think the approach definitely has merits if one believes every factor counts (which is a very valid position in my opinion) and/or wants more variability. It will require a more time to play a scenario but maybe only marginally so after the process becomes routine.

I encourage you to submit the process to Avalanche Press as a potential Daily Content column after you test it out.

BTW, on further reflection I did somewhat address this problem and changed my rule so if one has two plus conditions (and no negative ones) then one does not treat  the max die roll number as 0 but by its presented value. This in part addressing your concern. For example if one were the defender on a first time assault and also had a leader with rural assault skills then that would give that defender two conditions for only rolling a plus interpolation die (and assuming there were no negative conditions) if the VF were exactly 22 rolling that 8 could gt you to 30. But if one just had the one, (with no negative conditions) one need not roll at all for as you said, you would have no way of getting to 30. But if you had to roll both the plus and minus the issue then is not whether  you can get the 30 but can you hang on to the 22.

BTW, if  that approach leaves one still a bit unsatisfied one could add the rule that  one always rolls both the plus and  minus die, but if the conditions call for only the plus die only or the minus die only one  reads that other die roll as a zero regardless of what its rolls. However, if that die roll is actually a zero then one treats the other one such that  it's maximum value is not taken as zero but a presented. That way if the negative die roll was a zero (for a plus only role) that 8 would get you that 30, but but if  that negative die roll was  some other value it would still be read as zero but would not give that plus die that added boost.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 05-28-2017, 10:13 PM