Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
05-23-2017, 06:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017, 06:46 AM by RLW.)
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
As any one who has played PG knows   there are  always those times when one can only muster say  29 combat value for a Direct Fire shot which rounds down to 22 being just 1 lousy  point from 30. I have found a simple way to  address this  effect by using a die roll  to interpolate between the listed  combat values in the  various fire effect charts.

The way it works is if the total is equal to a listed value then treat as usual. But if it falls between two listed values, say  it is 25 then take the difference between the  listed value that is higher from the one that is lower (e..g for 25 on the direct fire table that would be 30 - 22 = 8) and roll a  die with that difference (e.g. in the case  one would roll an 8 sided die) and add that value to the regular dice roll the treat that new total as normal (i.e round down). Thus say one rolled in the above example a 4 on the 8 sided die then the new total would be 25 + 4 = 29 which rounds down to 22. But if one rolled say a 6 on the 8 sided die then the total would be 25 + 6 = 31 which rounds down to 30. 

If the  n sided die used to get the interpolation  additive value  starts with zero then use the numbers printed on that die. If it starts with 1 then treat the  highest number (e.g. 8 for an 8 sided die) as 0. 

Thus is say  one has an original  total of 23  the only way to  get it to bump one up to 30 (for direct fire) is to roll a 7 on the  8 sided die. But if one has a original total of 29 any roll but  8 (which  is to be treated as 0) would  bump one up to 30. So it always pays  statistically to add a point or two  to the original total using this method vs the standard method. This method works for  Direct Fire, Bombing fire, Assault fire fire, but is not applicable to AT fire.

This method does require one to buy  a number of n sided die. For example a have a collection n sided die that include  2, 3, 4 , 5 , 7 sided, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15 sided . But say if one does not want to buy that many special n sided die one can use a larger one as a substitute for a smaller. For example one can use  a 6 sided die for a 5 sided and just reroll whenever one rolls a 6 (and a five roll would be treated as a 0  as per the above rule).  But I have found doing that adds mental calculations and it is much simpler to buy the  full set of n sided die.

Even though one has to roll more die I find this to be pretty easy to use and  eliminates that other problem (that seems pretty gamey) of having to  get those extra points to  make that 29 total go over the top to 30. It does make the game slightly more lethal in that on the average  one will have more shots  that  bump up. One could address that by coming up with a method that would round both up and down. But that would add more complexity, and who wants to make the game  less lethal anyway. 

But it helps both sides so I don't think it would affect play balance too much other than  having a 18 OB  vs 17 OB artillery factor would benefit the 18 where  with the normal method bot would  round down to 16 and thus tend to be a wash (unless added with other arty shooters). So it could have some small effect on balance, but that might be good in that it better  rewards the  side with that higher  factors (e.g. an 18 should be better than a 17 vs both rounding down to 16).

At nay rate I have enjoyed using this method to interpolate  dice rolls and thought I would share it here in case anyone else might find this interesting or possibly  enjoy it likewise..might enjoy using it themselves.

BTW, here are some sites where one can buy n sided die (and there are  more ) so they are pretty easy and affordable to buy.

http://thedicelab.com/d120.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Purple-7-Sided-D...1290182330

https://mathartfun.com/d357.html

One more note. Once one  adds the interpolation die roll and gets the adjusted  combat value (rounded down to the  listed values on the  CRTs) the one adds  shifts as normal. And the +3 and -2 limit for shits  does not apply to the interpolation  in that it is not a shift but is an adjusted roll. So  if one bumps a 17 to a 21 by rolling say a 4 on the 5 sided die for a direct fire shot that is not treated a a shift from 16 to 21 but simply that  one rounded up to 21 rather than rounded down to 16 by adding the  interpolation  die roll value and the rounded down to to the  nearest listed value. Thus one could still get a +3 shift  in this case. That way  small round ups , e.g. a 29 to a 30 do not prevent one from getting a further +3 shift.

Messages In This Thread
Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 05-23-2017, 06:16 AM