Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sherman v Pz IV, is there a rating problem?
02-17-2017, 01:58 AM,
Sherman v Pz IV, is there a rating problem?
On CSW there have been several recent postings concerning the relative merits of the Sherman and the Pz IV, with complaints about DF, armor factors, etc.  I did not participate in the original rating for the weapons in the series and have taken the previously printed ratings for all units as a starting point for any reconsideration, and have only changed a rating if there was overwhelming evidence that such a change is warranted.

This dissatisfaction with the Sherman's ratings has been a low level constant drumbeat for quite some time.  I would like it if people would actually put all their comments together here.  If it makes sense we could possibly get a Gold Club reissue of some armor counters to reflect the changes.  I should note, however, that changes of the sort suggested could well result in substantial changes in the balance of scenarios as all to date have been developed using the standard ratings for the Sherman variants.

Remember in your discussion that it ain't just the armor or the gun, it has to include how the weapon was used at the platoon level and the relative performance of tank crews. Posts that read as a technical specification printout will be noted but be insufficient to warrant a change.  If technical capability was the sole determinant of vehicle platoon ratings we would have to have several additional subsystems which would weigh down PG significantly and affect playability.  For players looking for that level of specificity I believe there are other game systems which work with individual vehicles as units that provide a good platform for that.

One person made a comment that towards the end of the war we should see some fall off in the German tank units (that cannot be captured by lower morale levels) and I think that position has a great deal of validity.  As I have been fussing around through Spearhead I feel that the German tanks are surprisingly strong for that period (as opposed to the writings of eye witnesses).  So I do have an open mind.

While there are tons of reasons other than tank to tank combat that this was the case, I include for your enjoyment the tank losses in Normandy from D-Day through 7/31.

Allied

707 Shermans
111 Stuarts
  70 Cromwells
  33 Churchills

921 Total

German

274 Pz IV
197 Panther
  95 StuG (III and IV)
  30 Tiger
  17 Assorted