Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sherman Tank frustration & strategies?
07-07-2012, 08:15 AM,
RE: Sherman Tank frustration & strategies?
The fact remains that at long ranges, the T34's got seriously crucified whether defensive or offensive against the Panther, let alone the Tiger. The Panthers and Tigers were burning T34's at 1500m against a reply shot needing to be 500m or lower.

I understand Shermophiles defending their beast, but IMO there is no argument as to whose tanks were better. Give me the choice of having to see my chances in the M4, T34 or PzV and I know where my seat is booked.

I'd go for a 4 defence for Shermans rather than a 3, but I'd change nothing else as some would wish to do so.

Also, using the 'Shermans were attacking and the Panthers were not' as reason does not hold on the Eastern Front. Being that Kursk is recently released, its worth citing that you are looking at a 1:5 or even a 1:6 exchange rate even when the Germans WERE attacking in this battle (as well as defending at times of course). The plain fact remains that production numbers are the killer here. 7,800 Tigers and Panthers combined against what ? 50,000 T34 and M4's, 40,000 ? I don't know, even if it was 30,000 the numbers speak for themselves.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sherman Tank frustration & strategies? - by vince hughes - 07-07-2012, 08:15 AM